Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2009 08:00

DVD CDRW DRIVE WILL NOT WRITE - CAN ANYONE HELP

Hi Everyone,

I own a UK purchased DELL DIMENSION 5150.  Having always upgraded and downloaded updates etc I now find that my HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B drive will not recognise any form of media and will not write.  I have a service tag but the support centre says I bought my system outside of the UK which is incorrect.  The drive can read DVDs and CDs with no problems. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Firmware update for the GWA4164B advised by the Support Centre program is the cause of my problems.  All sonic programs and drivers have been checked there are no error messages in device manager etec etc. 

Can anyone help?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 8th, 2009 15:00

Hi, Girliechat:

First, you need to edit your message and remove your service tag.

That model has been very troublesome for many years. My advice would be to replace it. A new IDE DVD writer is only $25-30.

3 Posts

February 14th, 2009 03:00

Hi Osprey4, Thank you for the advice.  Is there not any way I can download the original firmware to see if that will re-establish the drive. It seems such a waste to throw it away.  Also I think DELL are responsible here.  What do you think?

3 Posts

March 7th, 2009 02:00

I am afraid I ended up replacing the drive.  Another piece of electronic hardware hits the rubbish tips.  Why can't designers ensure firmware problems can be addressed????

No Events found!