Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2014 07:00

DVD Drive Does not Work in Dell XPS 8700

Hello,

My brand new machine does not recognize the DVD drive it supposedly has. The drive does not appear in Windows Explorer, or in Device Manager. It is non-functional. How can this be? What should I do to correct the problem? I have software I want to load but I can't.

April 25th, 2014 10:00

While the PC is turned on, check that the drive is working (whether the tray comes out or check that the drive is present in BIOS settings page). If it's working fine, then try replacing the connectivity cable (SATA cable). If that fails to solve the issue, contact Dell support and inform them about the issue. The drive needs to be replaced.

561 Posts

April 25th, 2014 12:00

When I received my 8700  I had the same problem, after spending a few hours going over different things with a rep, it was decided that they would send me another 8700.  Being a little tech savvy I went inside the tower and  re-seated the connections. Power it up and I haven't had a problem since. BTW it was the power connector, because the DVD tray would not open all.

Roger 1955

April 25th, 2014 23:00

In that case, try replacing the power cable or the SMPS (power supply) box.

Additionally, connect the HDD power cable (after turning off the PC) to the optical drive to make sure the drive is working fine.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 26th, 2014 05:00

Hi ejohns,

I'm going to suggest some basic troubleshooting before you replace any parts. Boot the system and go to the F12 menu to access the diagnostics. Insert a data disc in the drive to perform the read test.

If the drive is missing from the diagnostics, it's either not properly connected or it has failed and needs to be replaced.

No Events found!