Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2009 16:00

DVD-ROM not working

I have looked around and tried almost anything I can think of.  I have a Latitude D600 with a Teac DVD-Rom DV-28E-C.  The hard drive went out, and I replaced it.  The dvd-rom has not worked since the old hard drive crashed.  I had to load Windows with an external drive, and I still can't get it to work.  I have tried looking into the registry for  upper and lower values, updated the DVD-Rom Firmware, uninstalling and reinstalling the drive, and tried different disks I know works.  Windows sees the drive, but it does not read the disks (drive runs and reads the disk, then stops).  Windows installed a cd-rom driver or it.  I could not find a driver for it anywhere.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 21st, 2009 05:00

Hi, Byte:

Are you able to boot the system with the XP disc using this drive?

March 21st, 2009 10:00

No.  It worked fine until the hard drive crashed, and hasn't worked since.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 05:00

I'm going  to suggest you run the Dell diagnostics on the drive. Your only option is to prepare a bootable flash drive with the diagnostics on it. The procedure is not difficult and instructions are easy to find. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> This diagnostic download can be used for a variety of formats (floppy, USB, CD, etc.).

March 29th, 2009 19:00

Thanks for your suggestion.  I had to take a break for about a week from this problem.  When I fired up the laptop, the drive is working fine again.  Maybe it just needed a break from all of the updates and drivers :).....I have the diagnostics and will keep for future use.   Thanks again.

10 Posts

March 29th, 2009 21:00

I'm having a similar problem with my Samsung DVD.  I did run the diagnostic, and it shows problems.  I don't have a clue as to what to do next.

Mike E

No Events found!