Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 10th, 2005 06:00

DVD-ROM stopped playing DVDs

Dimension 8300
WinXP Home SP2
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B

The computer is just about a year old. When I first got it, I was able to play dvds; now I cannot. I have since upgraded to Service Pack 2, but I don't know if that's relevant or not. I hadn't made any changes to any settings or anything.

When I insert a disc (I have tried several different ones, all clean) I can hear the disc being spun, and the green light on the front goes on. A few times I hear this very low beep/tone/sound that lasts a for a second or two. Then the green light goes off.

If I try and use My Computer or Explorer at all (even in a File Open dialog), it causes the computer to slow down and then freeze. However, if I eject the disc, everything returns to normal.

If I open Windows Media Player, and try to access the DVD through
Play > DVD, VCD or CD Audio
While the light is on, it says "Drive busy..."
After the light goes out, then it says "No Disc in Drive"

I have checked the driver in the device manager, it appears fine ("This device is working properly"). However, I did try uninstalling it and rebooting, 3 times, hoping it might right itself.

I uninstalled and re-installed the dvd player software a couple times, that did nothing. Just now I installed a trial of the latest version of the player (PowerDVD).

I still cannot play a DVD, its behaviour has not changed.

I read this
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1023433&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
but the instructions are for Win98, so I didn't know how to do it.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Edit: I should add that it appears that PowerDVD won't run now. I'm going to uninstall it and try again, I guess, as I can't think of what else to do.

Message Edited by sunspark on 02-10-2005 01:57 AM

Edit: I uninstalled the device again, and uninstalled then re-installed PowerDVD. Shutdown computer entirely. Started up. DVD still won't run. Running PowerDVD doesn't seem to do anything. I double-click on the shortcut, but nothing shows up, though it is listed in the Task Manager.

Message Edited by sunspark on 02-10-2005 02:28 AM

15.3K Posts

February 10th, 2005 13:00

Hi Sunpark,

This is about the only relevant article I found at Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308012

So far I am still searching at PowerDVD Support.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

15 Posts

February 10th, 2005 22:00

Thanks for the assistance, I really appreciate it.

I ran the DVD troubleshooter mentioned in the Microsoft article.

It first asks me to try and run it through Windows Media Player-which I can't do. It then takes me to:

"Do you need to install or update a decoder?"

"In addition to your DVD-ROM drive and player software, you must have either a hardware or software decoder in order to play DVDs. A hardware decoder also requires a decoder driver. Decoders and their drivers are available from third-party manufacturers."

Solution Providers Decoder Products

National Semiconductor Corporation Mediamatics DVD player
MGI Software Corp. Zoran SoftDVD and MGI SoftDVD Max
Ravisent Technologies Software CineMaster or CinePlayer 1.0
InterVideo, Inc. WinDVD
CyberLink Corp. PowerDVD

So I'm back to the PowerDVD thing, which isn't working either.

I clicked to the next step, and I'm advised to visit Windows Update--"This troubleshooter is unable to solve your problem". I went there, chose custom install (for "critical and optional updates") and there's no updates available.

I'm going to look through the PowerDVD faqs too.

15 Posts

February 11th, 2005 02:00

Nothing helpful. The drive still does not work. :(

February 11th, 2005 23:00

this is the same exact thing happening to my Dim 4600...:smileysad:

19 Posts

February 17th, 2005 16:00

Same thing happened to my DVD-ROM. I have also re-installed PowerDVD multiple times and this isn't the problem. I am thinking it has to do with SP2 because it seems that it was around the time I installed it, that everything stopped working.

15 Posts

February 17th, 2005 19:00

It's most annoying. I'm just bugged because the thing is like-new, just under a year old. It shouldn't play dvds a couple times and then never again.

Another person elsewhere recommended doing a clean install of XP. Meaning, format the drive, install XP, download and install all the updates, download and install a whole whack of programs... It isn't worth it to me to have to start from scratch - by choice - just to play DVDs. And that's assuming the clean install worked.

15 Posts

February 20th, 2005 05:00

How can I find out whom the manufacturer of the drive is? The device manager doesn't say, nor is it on the invoice or anything. ?

March 9th, 2005 02:00

Add me to the list... I believe the manufacturer is LG after a long conversation with Dell support to no avail.

I too think it has something to do with SP2

Steve

15 Posts

March 10th, 2005 01:00

I think it must be LG too, only it looks like its an older model no longer supported (no drivers, no manuals, etc).

All I could find at the LG site was for GDR-8163B rather than GDR-8162B.
http://www.lge.com/catalog/prodmodeldetail?modelCategoryId=CTG1000503&categoryId=&parentId=&modelPrefix=40CDDA&globalCode=GDR-8162B&globalSuffix=000000

I did find this
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=oplex_cdrom&message.id=4678&query.id=413965#M4678

Hopefully someone won't mind sharing them.

7 Posts

March 10th, 2005 08:00

I can send this LG firmware if you let me know

19 Posts

April 25th, 2005 17:00

uninstalled SP2 and everything works fine now. DVD's play perfectly....

15 Posts

April 26th, 2005 00:00

Tried this myself this evening, and it didn't make a difference, so at least for me, there is still something else wrong.

By the way, "Y.Y." I sent you a private message some time ago, and I never heard back from you (maybe you never received it?). Are you still interested in sharing the LG firmware?
No Events found!