curtda
1 Nickel

DVD-RW & CD-RW drives think they are -ROM drives

I have an XPS 400 and just solved a problem where neither drive would read a CD.  This was fixed by uninstalling service pack 3.  Now each drive can read discs, but can't record on either.  I looked in the properties and have the box check to enable CD recording.  I've also reinstalled each driver.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: DVD-RW & CD-RW drives think they are -ROM drives

Hi, Curt:

Welcome back. Sorry things still aren't working. I generally refer forum members in these situations to this article.

However, if SP3 was giving you trouble, I'm going to give you some food for thought. If you are planning to use this system for a while, you're going to need SP3. Your system is a couple years old, so it might be worth a clean installation of the OS plus SP3. Yes, it's an arduous process, but you'll end up with a trouble free, really fast system. This Dell article is a good reference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
curtda
1 Nickel

Re: DVD-RW & CD-RW drives think they are -ROM drives

Thanks for responding.  The recording tab has always been part of the properties and the "enable CD recording on this drive box" is checked.  This was the first place I looked when the problem happened.  I have noticed that if I check it in a couple of weeks, the box is unchecked.  Thanks for the articles in your message.  Reinstalling XP is good idea, but I need to get some media to backup all the needed files.

0 Kudos