Highlighted
Ziggy-MIT
Bronze

DVD/RW drive doesn't recognize when there's a recordable disc installed

Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm finally trying to burn my first discs as backups.  For whatever reason, when I load a CD-R or DVD-R into the drive, I keep getting the message that there's no disc in drive E:

This drive plays DVD's no problem.  I just can't figure out why it doesn't recognize when I install a blank recordable disc.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
RobinBredin
Diamond

Re: DVD/RW drive doesn't recognize when there's a recordable disc installed

Hi Ziggy-MIT, Have you tried using a CD+R. Some drives wont write to the '-'.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

Ziggy-MIT
Bronze

I've tried using CD-R, CD+R, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW;    Every time I get the message saying there is no disc in drive E:

The drive reads regular CD-ROMs and DVDs no problem, though.  Very weird.

0 Kudos

I have the same issue - my dvd drive tells me there is not disc - when I have a DVD+r in the drive but it reads movies

and records to CD-RW.  Have you figured anything out?

0 Kudos
Ziggy-MIT
Bronze

I haven't been able to figure anything out.  Everyone I speak with tells me to buy a new computer.  They don't even advise installing a new DVD burner.  Other option is to buy a new external CD/DVD burner, which I can use on multiple PC's at home and continue to use when this old PC finally dies.

Just really stinks because I bet there is a simple fix to the problem.  I was able to fix 1/2 the problem myself by finding the solution on Microsoft's site.  I just can't find anything to fix this one.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

Hi, Ziggy:

Sorry. It seems you haven't gotten any help on this nearly three week old thread.

First, it would be helpful if you provided the model of your Dell and the model of the drive, as well as your operating system and burning software. If you check device manager, do you see any errors? Have you tried deleting the "upper and lower filters", by following the article in the CD/DVD FAQ titled "code 39 error". This frequently fixes stubborn burners.

0 Kudos
Ziggy-MIT
Bronze

It's a Dell Dimension 2400.  The drive is a NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A;  Microsoft Driver Version 5.1.2535.0;  Driver Date 7/1/2001;

I've already followed the procedure for error code 39... that's what brought the drive back online again.  Before I did that, I couldn't use it at all.  Now, at least, it can play pre-recorded DVD-ROMS.

The problem I'm still having is that it doesn't recognize any blank media being inserted into the drive.  Whether I install a CD+/-R, CD +/-RW, DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW.... I still get the same error message: insert disc into drive G: (or something like that)

Under the Device Manager it says this device is operating normally.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Ziggy

0 Kudos
vinny9091
Copper

Hi

I've got exactly the same issue.  No problem reading or burning CD's or playing DVD's, but there is simply no recognition of a new disc in the DVD+R/RW drive.

I've also tried to format the disc to see if that helps, but I can't seem to find the format function when I insert a new DVD disc.  Is this because the drive does not recognise a disc to format.

This is extremely frustrating as I'm trying to burn a copy of my brothers wedding video for his Christmas present.   Looks like I'll have to buy him the new G&R album instead??

I'd be grateful for any ideas?

Vince

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

Ziggy:

Try using the Windows CD burning wizard with a blank CD-R in the drive.

FYI, there is no such thing as CD+R, and your drive is not capable of burning DVD-R or -RW, only DVD+R and +RW.

0 Kudos
detran
Copper

Hi guys! Mind if I join this party? I’m having the same issues. My drive reads audio and data CDs just fine. But when I attempt to burn music to a blank recordable CDr it won’t recognize that it is blank. It keeps prompting me to insert a recordable CD. When I right click on the drive to view properties of the disc it shows the new blank disc is full. Of course it’s not full, it’s new and blank. I’ve been looking and search for some help and boy, there doesn’t seem to be a straight forward answer. I’m hoping and waiting for someone to respond with one of those absolute solutions that work.

0 Kudos