8 Krypton

Re: DVD +-RW drive not reading DVD

The Dell Drivers and Utilities disc is a CD.
0 Kudos
nick2100
6 Indium

After persistent exhausting many possibilities i got a message in powerDVD saying i need to change the dvd region code. I used a software to disable the region code in the drive but i figured there is still a region code request in the softwares or posibly in the operating system. now how do i disable or bypass the region code embeded in the softwares decoder and OS. I really dont want to buy a new DVD drive and then have the same problem. Thanks much for your responses.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Some DVD playback software wants a region code setup, but most
do not.  Check the options and setup of the players.  It is the
drive that usually determines the region to be played.  As an
experiment, give VLC Media Player a try here ............

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

0 Kudos
nick2100
6 Indium

i have tried that also and it never read the dvd. am thinking maybe i should reinstall everything and configure than problem first before install any dvd decoding software. or maybe uninstall all dvd decoding software and then configure the drive region free then install decoding software. what you think?
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Do keep in mind that the Dell Diagnostics would not read a DVD.

That may well indicate a DVD laser weakness or failure.  Let us

know how things work out.

Message Edited by Skybird on 03-29-2008 01:00 PM
0 Kudos
nick2100
6 Indium

i have installed dvdgenie and dvdregion+CSS free and it starts to read original DVD movies and also data DVD that i once burn. However, it is not reading DVD video that i once burn with same drive. What do you think could be that prob?
0 Kudos
nick2100
6 Indium

The drive reads some DVD now but sometimes they have to be in the drive for a little while before it starts reading them properly. It is extremely slow and alot of glitches. It is still not reading the media direct DVD, and the question is. what information is on the dell media direct DVD? Because I am thinking that there are additional tools on it to make the DVD drive works properly. Written at the back of the DVD it says use this DVD before you install your operating system. However the drive not reading DVD disc because some instructions or resources are are missing that i believe is on the dell media direct DVD. Now do you know how if I can get the media direct installation on a cd or download from off the dell website as a rar, zip or iso file and install on my computer. Am not really a computer prof but I can assist myself with little issues. Thanks for your assistance so far.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bennett3063
1 Copper

I upgraded a Dell latitude D820 to 320 HD; Window XP Ops System. DVD RW +/-

I tried playing a DVD and the system would play it.  Status: " Window Media Player can't play this DVD because a compatible DVD decorder is not installed on the comuter.  I don't whether any other functions are working."

What do I need to play DVD and burn music?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi Bennett3063,

The DVD decoder is a program for playing DVDs. If you go to Osprey's Toolbox (link below), you'll find VLC Media Player, which will solve this problem.

You'll also find resources for burning discs. ImgBurn is a good freeware disc burning program.

0 Kudos