Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2008 17:00

DVD +-RW drive not reading DVD

Just formated my HDD and reinstall windows xp operating system and dell utility and drivers. However, DVD drive seems to not reading DVD disc that i use to play before OS reinstalled. Not reading the dell media direct DVD reinstallation disc either. Read cds ok. What should I do?

19 Posts

March 30th, 2008 13:00

The drive reads some DVD now but sometimes they have to be in the drive for a little while before it starts reading them properly. It is extremely slow and alot of glitches. It is still not reading the media direct DVD, and the question is. what information is on the dell media direct DVD? Because I am thinking that there are additional tools on it to make the DVD drive works properly. Written at the back of the DVD it says use this DVD before you install your operating system. However the drive not reading DVD disc because some instructions or resources are are missing that i believe is on the dell media direct DVD. Now do you know how if I can get the media direct installation on a cd or download from off the dell website as a rar, zip or iso file and install on my computer. Am not really a computer prof but I can assist myself with little issues. Thanks for your assistance so far.

1 Message

December 17th, 2011 06:00

I upgraded a Dell latitude D820 to 320 HD; Window XP Ops System. DVD RW +/-

I tried playing a DVD and the system would play it.  Status: " Window Media Player can't play this DVD because a compatible DVD decorder is not installed on the comuter.  I don't whether any other functions are working."

What do I need to play DVD and burn music?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 17th, 2011 08:00

Hi Bennett3063,

The DVD decoder is a program for playing DVDs. If you go to Osprey's Toolbox (link below), you'll find VLC Media Player, which will solve this problem.

You'll also find resources for burning discs. ImgBurn is a good freeware disc burning program.

No Events found!