Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2009 02:00

DVD drive not working on xps m1330

i had my xps 1330 for nearly a year now without any problems but i have to admit i barely use it as i use a desktop at home and another one at work. yesterday i turned the laptop on after nearly 2 months of no use.i tried to watch a DVD movie but the computer could not recognise any disc (movie dvd, data cd, software cd..etc)..i could hear the desc spining in the dvd slot drive but nothing happens...when i go through media direct it tells me that i need to insert a disc eventhough it is already inserted. i checked the device manager...no problems...driver fine. i ran the diagnostics and all passed apart from the read and seek tests...i got message saying ( the cd inserted in your cd rom drive does not contain any data tracks. you must insert a cd containing data such as a software installation cd if you would like to try again)....i tried different cds and dvds ...nothing works...i even restored the laptop to the dell factory image..no help....any advice please as i waste dmy weekend trying to sort out this problem...only 19 days left on my warranty...by the way my dvd drive is Matshita DVD+ - RW UJ-857G ATA Device

4 Posts

January 11th, 2009 03:00

by the way i found in oneof the posts that deleting the uper andlower filters from the registery might cure the problem but when i went to the registry i could not find the filters!! could this be the cause ? and how to get them?

8 Posts

January 15th, 2009 19:00

I have the exact same prpoblem- registers did not help. I think it's just bum hardware. This is my second unit.

2 Posts

January 16th, 2009 09:00

hi guys, I feel the exact same problem face by you. this drive namely  tsstcorp dvd+-rw ts-l632h is the worst available dvd rwriter supplied by the dell.

This writer has many compatibility problems & can access the limited no of media available in the market.

lets tried out the firmware upgrade of the drive & see the result, might solve the some of your promlems.

4 Posts

January 16th, 2009 13:00

the dell engineer came to my house yesterday and confirmed that it is a hardware problem and the drive was dead...replaced it with a new drive in 10 minutes...it is working fine now but i contacted dell to extend the warranty for another 3 years

4 Posts

January 27th, 2009 12:00

I have same drive in my 1330. Very rarely use it,however have noticed it becoming increasingly unreliable in the past few months (disappearing from device  manager, saying no disc loaded etc). Today it stopped reading discs all together. Warranty is out so ripped the machine apart to have a look. Not impressed with what I found; the data/power cable that connects the drive to the mainboard has been placed in such a way that it doubles back on itself. There is a small, hard bit of board that has been added to the end that connects to the drive. The edge of this board has chafed against the double backed cable and written off half of the circuit tracks on it! Managed to find a replacement cable on Ebay for a tenner, hopefully this will fix it. **OC9 Dell XPS m1330 50.4C311.001 Optical Drive Connector** is the part number. I think when I install the new cable I will add some form of protection (thin foam) to prevent this from happening again.

8 Posts

January 27th, 2009 13:00

Yep- I think I need a new drive as well- anybody know the part number or where I can order one? I tried Dell Parts- but didn't see anything.

4 Posts

January 28th, 2009 01:00

Search on Ebay for "m1330 dvd drive". They're pretty expensive though (£100), especially when you factor in that your replacement could possibly fail another year from now!

January 28th, 2009 07:00

Hey dude!

I have the same issue with my dell xps m1330.The same problems im facing with my laptop and even i have done all the diagnosis and nothing found wrong. I have warranty with my laptop and to fix the problem, Dell has replaced my Matshita CD/DVD drive for 3 times and the problem remained as it was before.I ve been runnig after this to fix the problem but didnt get any solution..Even the dell technical support people failed to fix it.

kashyap

January 28th, 2009 07:00

hey dud

4 Posts

January 30th, 2009 11:00

That sounds the same as my problem, maybe you need a new drive connector cable? Still waiting for it to arrive by the way.

4 Posts

February 8th, 2009 15:00

Hi guys, just to follow up, the cable finally arrived. I replaced the old one and my drive is now working once again! I added some protective foam this time to prevent the chafing happening again. So to sum up, it might not always be the drive that is at fault, check the cable first. Hope this helps.

7 Posts

March 17th, 2009 17:00

I had the same problem & solved it with this, from BlackRussian on NotebookReview.com:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=197770

NOTE: After removing these registry keys and rebooting, it may be necessary to reinstall any CD or DVD recording applications.

1) Close all open programs

2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter

3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
* SYSTEM
* CurrentControlSet
* Control
* Class
* {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

* UpperFilters
* LowerFilters
* UpperFilters.bak
* LowerFilters.bak

5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete

6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor

7) Reboot your computer

8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

3 Posts

March 18th, 2009 15:00

I have had the same problem and I've tried everything suggested in this thread and more.  I've had the drive replaced four times in the few years I've owned the laptop.  Dell wants to reinstall my OS.

This laptop is really frustrating me.  Its the fifth dell laptop I've had in the past ten years and this one has had incredible numbers of hardware problems.  Aside from the dvd drive, the motherboard has gone bad and they've replaced the screen (I don't know why they chose to do that).  I've never had problems like this with any of my previous laptops.

2 Posts

December 18th, 2010 23:00

This solved the issue for me. Had DVD replaced a year ago when it stopped working. It just happened again. Deleting the registry keys brought the drive back to live.

2 Posts

December 18th, 2010 23:00

This fixed it for me

No Events found!