Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2009 09:00

DVD drive won't play dvd's anymore?

Hi,

Just ran out of warranty :( luckily the forums are around!

I purchased a Dell XPS-ONE last year and have had no issues with it whatsoever. I recently put in a DVD which wouldn't work due to the region so I changed the region and it played.

With the PC it has the Teac DV-W28SLC drive and it now only allows me to play data and music cd's. The drive won't play any DVD's - once inserted it waits and then spits it back out. I have tested it with the region 1 dvd i played months earlier as the dvd region is currently set to 1.

I've run a cutom dell startup diagnostic on the driveand it passed no problem - with and withouta data cd in the drive.

1. What could be causing it to not play ANY dvd's? It's on region 1 and won't play a region 1 dvd.

2. How can I reset the # of region changes left for the drive? I want to try get it bck to default where it's region free "no selection".

3. How come dell doesn't have the driver / firmware for the drive, is there a download link? Teac's site does't have it either.

Thank you in advance.

4 Posts

August 30th, 2009 10:00

Just emailed them and awaiting response. In the meantime is there anything else I can try?

4 Posts

Thanks for the response, unfortunately it still isn't working with playing a DVD - music and data still works.

It does a sound like "dooo dooo" then silent then "doo doo" then sounds like the cd is scratching then it waits and then it spits it out.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

4 Posts

Thanks! I'm in Australia so hopefully Dell over here can sort out the replacement part :)

Not really. Once a tech hears that the drive sounds as though it's scratching the discs before spitting them out, the only option available to them is to replace the drive

Just based on the noise issue of the drive when it's trying to read the disc. I'd say contact tech support and get the drive replaced.

It could be a problem with the filters in the registry.

for xp start>run

for vista Start>Search box

then type in regedit back up your registry before doing the following

click on the + beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

click on the + beside SYSTEM

click on the + beside CurrentControlSet

click on the + beside Control

click on the + beside Class

click on the folder 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

In the window on the Right hand side delete the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters

close the registry, restart the computer and try to play the DVD again.

No Events found!