Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2011 13:00

DVD drive won't rip burned CDs (or only very, very slowly)

I'm having trouble with my TS-H653B (firmware D400) CD-DVD-RW drive, which came installed in my Inspiron 530s (running 32-bit Vista).

I have no problems with the drive in any way except when I'm trying to rip CDs that were previously burned (i.e. CD-Rs that play in regular audio stereos). When I try to rip tracks from these CDs, regardless of the program (WMP, Winamp, or EAC), the drive slows way WAY down and starts making a sound that's almost like heavy breathing, as the disc STARTS to spin, and then stops, and then STARTS, and then stops. It rarely gives an actual error or stops, but the ripping slows down to unimaginable speeds (i.e. it might take 30 minutes or more to rip a single track--not feasible).

I never get this problem with purchased CDs--only ripped CDs. The worst part is that it seems fickle; in the past, I've ripped a burned CD, gotten through 7 of 15 tracks, and then on track 8 it slows down and starts the heavy breathing. If I retry right then it never works, but I've come back the next day and retried and gotten through 4 or 5 more tracks before it slows down again . . . and so on. (But sometimes it just refuses to work from the get-go, which is what it's doing now.) Do these drives get "tired"?

I've upgraded the driver to the newest version available on the Dell site (that I can find--version D400), but nothing seems to work. I'm left being able to PLAY these burned CDs, but not RIP them. (For example, I have a great mix CD from years ago that I want to back up in WAV on my hard drive just in case the CD gets scratched one day, but I can't!)

Any advice?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 10th, 2011 16:00

Perhaps the burned CDs were burned with the option to add more later.

That can confuse the drive.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 11th, 2011 03:00

Along with the way the discs were burned, I've seen older discs have problems as the data on them is not permanent as some would think.  Since commercial CD's work/rip OK it's back to either the actual discs or how they were originally burned (and possibly the burner drive that was used).  

15.3K Posts

December 13th, 2011 05:00

Hello Kyle,

To add with ieee & Jack and this is just a shot in the dark, have you tried a disc to disc copy, then see if you rip the songs from the newer disc to your harddrive?

December 13th, 2011 05:00

Hmm...this is all good thinking. The discs were definitely closed, but they are rather old--about 7 years. Yes, I tend to think, "Once I burned a CD years ago, it should be fine forvever!" but obviously that's not true.

I'll try burning a CD to a new disc and see if I have trouble ripping from that.

I only have one drive, so I can't do directly disc to disc (unless you mean using a program that does disc to disc with one drive).

I'll let you know how it works out! I can be more scientific, but I had that hope that someone would say, "Oh yes! That's a common problem! Grab X driver and it will be fixed!" Ah, dreams.... :)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 13th, 2011 07:00

Did you try Predator's idea of doing a disc-to-disc copy?

If you are ripping from a commercial audio CD, do you have the same problem?

Keep in mind that audio CD-Rs are extremely forgiving. Even severe scratches or dye degradation that would render a data disc unusable may not be a problem for an audio disc.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Kyledstedman,

I use EAC as my preferred ripping program. When your EAC rip is completed, albeit slowly, does the report show good accuracy? That would be one indication of the disc quality.

I recently started using EAC, but the same problem happened, and it reported some errors (I forget the actual words). I never actually finished a rip using EAC (30 hours? No way...), there were definitely errors.

That's a good point that those errors would point to disc errors; I assumed they could be from a driver issue, but maybe not. I'm starting to think that my old spindle of 100 discs from a few years back is slowly wearing out....

No Events found!