Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2008 06:00

DVD drives not working

I find myself sat infront of my father's Dell Vostro A410, unable to get either DVD drive to work properly (one is a +/- RW, the other is just your bog standard DVD reader.) This all started yesterday after after installing Alcohol 120% on the computer. About half an hour later the DVDRW drive started declaring its self alternatively a DVD-RAM drive and a CD drive. Half an hour after that, the other DVD drive simply ceased working. Neither drive will recognise that there are discs in there. I've updated the drivers, but other than that, I have no idea if there are any more steps I can take before going for an XP re-install.

For your viewing pleasure, here is a screenshot.

http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?i...eenshotgh1.jpg

My initial thought was that Alcohol was the culprit, even though I hadn't set up any virtual drives etc. Apparently the computer may have had a virus before I go here, though. I've run AvG (nothing) and Trojan Remover (one or two minor things) and the problem persists. I've uninstalled Alcohol with no effect.

Anyone got any idea what's going on here?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 13th, 2008 07:00

Hi, Daltone:

Please try the article in the CD/DVD FAQ under "code 39 error".

3 Posts

Thanks, there haven't actually been any error messages popping up, but I'll give this a whirl and see what happens!

3 Posts

Unfortunately that has not solved the problem.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 14th, 2008 05:00

Try system restore to the point before you installed Alcohol.

Unfortunately, the potential of a virus complicates things.

No Events found!