Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

February 20th, 2012 13:00

DVD issue with Roxio Creator

I can no longer append data to an appendable DVD-R using Roxio Creator.  (Kicks out disk with message that disk is not writtable or not blank.) Contacted Roxio and they told me to update driver.  How do I find and download the latest driver version?   Dell supports site doesn't list a new driver for my system (E510) but does list an urgent firmware update for the DVD firmware.  However when I try to download the update I do not get an install wizard instead I get four icons in C:\\dell\drivers\R143730 , ie.,  FLASH6, Version (txt), W51D6CLA, and WINFLASH6N.   How do I get the new firmware to load (assuming I should load it)?  Thank you for any help you can give me

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 20th, 2012 15:00

Hi Zoom99,

Roxio isn't helping you much. The drivers for all optical drives are the same, and they know it.

Are you sure the disc isn't full?

11 Posts

February 20th, 2012 17:00

Also Roxio indicated that the driver could have been corrupted and I believe that is why they wanted me to reload it.  How would I reload a new uncorrupted driver to prove whether or not a corrupted driver is indeed the problem.  (Note I can read data DVD's and play DVD movies on the drive without any issues.)

11 Posts

February 20th, 2012 17:00

DVD-R has over 4GB of free space.  The Roxio software (Easy CD &DVD burning) recognizes the disk as appendable and with over 4GB of free space yet it will not allow me to append data to the DVD.  Instead it kicks out the disk and asked me to insert a writable or empty DVD.  This problem showed up recently.  I never had this problem in the three years or so that I was using this software on my Dell E510.

10.9K Posts

February 20th, 2012 19:00

In the Device Manager, click on the (+) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives.  Then right-click the DVD drive and select Uninstall.  Reboot your system.  The driver will be installed by Windows during the start-up.  While there, tell us the model of the DVD drive you have and the operating system you are using.

10.9K Posts

February 21st, 2012 09:00

There is only one driver for optical drives and it is a generic driver supplied by Microsoft.  All optical drives use the same one.  You have it installed and it is not currupt.  When you unintalled it and rebooted, it install correctly.  Your drive has the latest Firmware.  Roxio is not helping you with the problem.  You do not have a driver issue.  

Will the drive burn a disc other than the one you are having a problem with?  Are you able to burn a disc through the Windows software?

11 Posts

I did an uninstall of the driver and reboot but the problem persists.  If the driver files are corrupted will this procedure correct the corruption or would Windows just reinstall the corrupted file?  Also I hit the Update Driver button but Microsoft  signaled that  better match could be found vis a vis the installed driver.  (Note:  I couldn't find a driver file to download (i.e. overwrite the supposedly corrupted file) for my drive on Dell's site.  Do such files exist on Dell's site?  If so where?)  The drive is HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N.  The firmware level is B109.  The driver level is 5.1.2535.0 (dated 7/1/2001).  I'm running Windows XP Media Center for Dimension E510.  Again thank you for your help.

11 Posts

Correction to my reply.  I should have said the Microsoft signaled that a better match could NOT be found vis a vis the installed driver.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Zoom99,

Please try this. Uninstall Roxio, then follow the procedure for the upper and lower filter trick (link below). Then reinstall Roxio. If you are prompted to update Roxio, DON'T.

11 Posts

February 21st, 2012 10:00

Tired it and it didn't work.  The MS fix CD/DVD program did indicate that it found problems and fix it but results are the same.  Note I have this problem with two different versions of Roxio software.  Roxio keeps saying I have a driver issue.  To prove it where would I find a driver file that I can reload into my system?

11 Posts

February 21st, 2012 10:00

Using Roxio I have no issues burning the first folder (of photos) to the DVD-R.  But when I go to append additional files Roxio, as I said previously, kicks out the disk as if it were finalized or non appendable even though the Roxio software recognizes it as being appendable and not full.  I tried many different DVD's include DVD-RW but always get the same results - first write OK others not.  Regarding writing files with windows I tried using window explorer to copy and then write a folder to a blank DVD-R.  I get the following error message - "Error Copying File or Folder.  Cannot create folder: access is denied.  Make sure disk is not full and file is not in use."  Is there any other windows program that I should tried to use to write a file to DVD?   Also I have no issues reading DVD's.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 21st, 2012 17:00

Normally, the generic Windows driver is used for all optical drives. There are two exceptions, but both are software related. One is installed by iTunes but is incompatible with Roxio. The other is the Gear driver.

Another suggestion would be to peruse the Roxio forums. Sounds like your drive is fine but Roxio isn't being cooperative.

11 Posts

February 23rd, 2012 12:00

Hi Sky bird:  

Repeating my comment to your suggestion:

Regarding writing files with windows I tried using window explorer to copy and then write a folder to a blank DVD-R.  I get the following error message - "Error Copying File or Folder.  Cannot create folder: access is denied.  Make sure disk is not full and file is not in use."  Is there any other windows program that I should tried to use to write a file to DVD?   Also I have no issues reading DVD's.  

Does the fact that I cannot use Window Explorer to write data to the DVD give any clue(s) to what my problem may be?

To Osprey:

I will take a look at Roxio's forums - thank for the suggestion.  Roxio says they reviewed the system information I sent them and are still insisting that my driver is out of date (even though it is the same driver that I had when I didn't have this issue).  It would make more sense it they said my driver got corrupted some how.

10.9K Posts

February 23rd, 2012 14:00

Sorry, I was not clear in the previous post.  Windows XP built-in burning software will not burn a DVD.  It will only recognize CDs.  I believe your drive is fine.  You have the correct and only available driver and it is working correctly.  You also have the lastest Firmware.  Curiosity makes me ask ... what is the brand of DVD-R disc are you using.  In Osprey's Toolbox, use DVD Identifier to ID the disc's origin.  Osprey's Toolbox is here .....

en.community.dell.com/.../osprey-s-toolbox.aspx

11 Posts

February 23rd, 2012 15:00

I'm using Sony Accucore DVD-R.  Assuming this isn't the problem how do I answer Roxio that this isn't a driver or firmware corruption issue?  Also is there any other software (microsoft, etc.) I can use to try to burn data to the DVD-R?

10.9K Posts

February 23rd, 2012 16:00

Sony does not make DVDs.  They source them from different manufacturers.  DVD Identifier will identify the source.  Your driver is good because the drive works.  If the Firmware is currupt, the drive would be be non-functional.  I would guess that Roxio is referring to the drives Firmware.  Firmware is occasionally updated by the drive manufacturer to correct issues or enhance performance (such as new media performance).  Roxio seems to always suggest updating Firmware for any problem they cannot answer.  You have the latest Firmware.

Your issue could be the media (use DVD Identifier to find the manufacturer) or it could be the Roxio software.  If the media is good, then per Osprey's suggestion, I would visit the Roxio Forums.  

For DVD media quality and media sources, see this article ......... www.digitalfaq.com/.../dvd-media.htm

No Events found!