Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2009 19:00

DVDs only recognized as 700MB?

Hello,

I recently reformatted the HD on my Inspiron 640m laptop, reinstalling everything from the ground up. (Vista business, 32bit, SP2)

The laptop came bundled with Roxio Creator DE, which I have used to burn data DVD's before the re-install.  Since then, I can no longer burn DVD's with this software.  When I insert the DVD, the software indicates that there is only 700MB of free space.  I know the media is good, because it's the same spindle I was using before the re-install, and it also works on my desktop.  Roxio claims it's a Dell issue, and they won't support their software, and my Dell warranty is up, so no help there.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Much Thanks!

Jim B

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 15th, 2009 20:00

from the ground up, do you mean you followed these steps --->  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=347576

4.6K Posts

December 15th, 2009 23:00

Try a different burning program, even if it's just to see/confirm whether the 700MB limitation is replicated?

There are plenty of FREE ones to choose from, including:

CD Burner XP (highly recommended)
ImgBurn (also very good)
Deep Burner
Final Burner FREE
Ultimate CD/DVD Burner
Totally Free Burner

4 Posts

April 27th, 2010 14:00

FireBlade:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried CDBurnerXP, and it appears that I'm good to go.  Not sure why the Roxio software has decided to go south, but based on their unwillingness to help, suffice it to say I will never buy any of their aftermarket software.  Especially when this shareware version seems to do everything the Roxio software did, and then some.

Thanks again for the input!

JB

No Events found!