Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2015 15:00

Defected External USB Ultra Slim DVD +/- RW Slot Drive

I purchased a Dell External USB Ultra Slim DVD +/- RW Slot Drive September 18, 2014. When I received the drive I used it one time to install it to my Dell Inspirion computer and never used it again until two days ago not noticing the item was defected. When I plugged the USB cord into the drive slot, the silver slot that holds the USB cord in place fell out of the hole with the USB cord attached. Called Dell Support, spoke with 6 representatives who could not help me and was told by the last representative since I did not check for defects within the 30 day period of purchasing the device, I could not return the item. My frustration and problem with Dell is that when I used it the first day, how would I have known the slot had a defect if at that time it did not present a problem, nor did I notice the slot may have been loose upon arrival. I didn't use it long enough to notice there was an issue. To pay for an item I clearly cannot use is disturbing and failure to get help from Dell to determine what other options I have that I may use the product is equally disturbing. I am extremely upset because now I have a DVD unit that does not work and will not work because it is missing the part that obviously makes the connection to the device itself. I will write a complaint letter to your corporate office as well as file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau expressing my concerns and dissatisfaction with your customer service as well as your failure to properly resolve my issue. Being transferred to several customer service and technical support representatives only to be told it's my fault because I did not use the product enough times in the allotted warranty period and no longer have the option to return YOUR defected device is sad and disheartening. And for the numerous technical support representatives I kept getting transferred to only to find no resolve, please know this is not a technical issue. It is a defected device issue. And because it appears Dell does not stand by its product if it's not within the time allotted even if YOUR product is defected after the allotted warranty period, will make me rethink the next time I purchase a product.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 15th, 2015 12:00

Hi Joaynn,

I really don't understand the problem, but it would seem this issue should be covered by the product warranty. Assuming you are still within the warranty period, I would contact Dell concerning repair or replacement of the drive.

Good luck!

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2015 10:00

Hi Osprey4,

Thank you for the response. The issue: Dell sent a defected DVD on 9/18/14. I installed the device to my Dell computer the day I received it but never used it again until January 2015. The day I used it, the entire silver port that connects the USB port to the computer fell out of the drive and could not be used. I had a technician look at it and confirmed the device was defective. Of which was not in my control. I called Dell to advise of the problem, was told because I did not contact Dell within the 30-day warranty period, I could not return or have the device repaired. The problem, the device cannot be repaired. And although I failed to use it within the allotted warranty period, the fact remains the device came from the factory defected and now I'm paying for a device that cannot be repaired or returned. Sadly, I need an optical external DVD drive for my Inspirion and have no choice but to get another one. I would like to stay with Dell products, but am clearly dissatisfied with the fact I am paying for a DVD I cannot use and will add an additional expense for the one I will need to purchase. I would have hoped Dell could have made an exception to their return policy given the issue I noted but to no avail. I am also leery to purchase another DVD because I am afraid of the possibility of receiving another defected item and have to go through this all over again. If I were to order another device, which I need to do soon since my Inspirion does not come with one, I would prefer Dell test the item not once, but several times to see if there are any defects before sending. Please share your thoughts. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 16:00

Wow, I can certainly understand why you're so frustrated. I'm not sure what I can suggest apart from purchase a different brand.

If you want something slim, here's a Lite-On EBAU108 External DVD-Writer for $25. Slim drives are portable but typically a bit fragile. If you want something more rugged, try this LG USB 2.0 External Super Multi DVD Rewriter Model GE24NU40. Both of these can read and write CD and DVD discs.

3 Posts

March 27th, 2015 21:00

OSPREY4,

Thank you.

I was looking at purchasing the same external dvd drive and before placing my order, noticed and read the reviews from several customers noting the same problem I tried to tell Dell about with my "defective" device without any success. Apparently I am not delusional and like others, was correct in that this device is very poorly made, it is defective, the USB connector comes loose and breaks completely off by the second use, and according to customer reviews, "the connection portal has broken and it's loose inside the device", "USB connector breaks easily". "Owned it less than 3 months and the connection portal has broken and it's loose inside the device. Not able to use device." What's sad is that Dell refuses to refund customers or even offer a comparable solution knowing this is a problem after the 30-day warranty has expired that has been going on for almost one year based on dated reviews I've read. Because the USB connector is defective and breaks easily after one or two uses, which was the same exact problem I had by the second use, Dell needs to offer better solutions to the customer that may include extending the warranty period more than 30 days on this device, or fix what many are getting as a defective external dvd unit, or stop selling this particular item completely and offer customers such as myself an better dvd option that is compatible with the Inspirion 11.

After reading all the reviews I am going to search for an agency I can report the problem I and others are having with Dell and hope that Dell will do something to properly resolve the issue. So that customers like myself are given a fair chance at purchasing a device that works and not run the risk of getting a defective device. Especially after purchasing it again as I will be forced to do because I really need a dvd for my computer because I am not able to play or burn ANY cds, and hope that it does not come defected. Or refund the customers money and not think it is okay that some customers are out of $50.00 each time a new device needs to be ordered, knowing there is a high incidence of the device arriving defected..

In the meantime, I will take a look at the dvd drives you recommended and hope that works as well. Thank you for replying to my concerns and your help. Appreciated.

No Events found!