Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 6th, 2006 04:00

Deleting 3GB Dell Partition

Hi Everyone,
I would like to know how to delete the 3GB Dell partition containing the factory-default applications incase I need to restore my system. Because I have no need for the applications in that disk image, and I do a clean-install of XP anyway, I would really appreciate it if somebody could give me some information on clearing up the 3GB used up by the hidden partition.

Thanks!
Kirupa =)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Kirupa

You can delete the partition with a clean reinstall of XP or if you do not wish to reinstall windows, then by using Symantec's Partition Magic.

Bev.

26 Posts

I did do a clean install of XP, but I don't remember seeing the option for deleting that particular partition. I will try again in a few weeks when I get some time to format my comp again.

Using the Device Manager, when I view the hard drive's Properties, I can see the unlabeled 3GB volume displayed along with my primary partition.

Is there any command line tools I can use instead? I would ideally just want to mark that space as NTFS so that I can, at the least, use it concurrently with my current XP installation as a viewable, 2nd partition.

Thanks!
Kirupa

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Kirupa

When you reinstall XP, you can delete all existing partitions (Paragraph 5) when you are prompted, then recreate and format
them (Paragraphs 6 & 7), following by installing XP.

Bev.

11.9K Posts

March 6th, 2006 09:00

@Kirupa wrote:
I did do a clean install of XP, but I don't remember seeing the option for deleting that particular partition. I will try again in a few weeks when I get some time to format my comp again.

Using the Device Manager, when I view the hard drive's Properties, I can see the unlabeled 3GB volume displayed along with my primary partition.

Is there any command line tools I can use instead? I would ideally just want to mark that space as NTFS so that I can, at the least, use it concurrently with my current XP installation as a viewable, 2nd partition.

Thanks!
Kirupa

Use Disk Management to delete the partition, recreate it, and format it.  If you don't want to combine it with the existing partition, there is no reason to reinstall XP.

41 Posts

March 6th, 2006 19:00

The Dell Tools partition isn't formatted NTFS it is formatted FAT or below and depending on your HD size unless you really need the space I would keep it for all the troubleshooting tools available on it.

ganash

26 Posts

March 7th, 2006 01:00

In case you are sure you want to delete this partition, there is a Dell program already installed that apparently deletes it: C:\dell\Utilities\DSR\DSRIRRemv2.exe. 

Dimension 9150.

26 Posts

March 7th, 2006 05:00

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I was able to delete it and format the volume as NTFS. There isn't a way to merge this partition into my C: without having to purchase Partition Magic (or a similar program), correct?

Thanks!
Kirupa =)

11.9K Posts

March 7th, 2006 09:00

@Kirupa wrote:
Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I was able to delete it and format the volume as NTFS. There isn't a way to merge this partition into my C: without having to purchase Partition Magic (or a similar program), correct?

Thanks!
Kirupa =)

Shesagordie already answered that correctly.

1 Message

June 30th, 2006 09:00

You can download the free open-source partitioning program
GParted LiveCD

It works perfectly.
No Events found!