Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2008 23:00

Dell 8250 - Problems installing new 500 GB drive

I am trying to install a 500 GB drive into my Dell 8250 machine.

When I hook it up as slave or cable select on the primary IDE cable, it gives me an error like:

"unable to autosense hard drive on Primary IDE 1"

When I go to the BIOS, it sees it as a hard drive, but can't get any other information from it.

Is this a bad drive, or does my Dell not recognize a 500 GB drive?  Anything I can do get this to work?

208 Posts

July 5th, 2008 03:00

I am not totally sure, If I remember the 8250 uses SATA not EIDE. There was one EIDE channel for the floppy drive.  If you are, indeed, trying to connect the lager HD to that channel it will not work properly.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 5th, 2008 03:00

bkanneg

With the D-8250 model, to support hard drives larger than 137gb, you need XP-SP1 or higher and BIOS version A02 or later installed.

Have you partitioned and formatted the IDE 500gb second hard drive?

These are generic instructions for installing an additional hard drive using Windows XP Disk Management, they are by Seagate, but apply to all makes

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

15 Posts

July 7th, 2008 01:00

I am trying to have a dual boot Win XP and Ubuntu system. If I was to install a IDE controller card, would my bios boot correctly and see the drive? I was going to load XP on the 200 GB drive, and ubuntu on the 500 GB drive. Do I have to load Windows before I can use the controller card? Not sure how those work.

Thanks in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 7th, 2008 12:00

With the latest BIOS and the drive jumpered on cable select, you won't need a controller card.

No Events found!