Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2011 14:00

Dell Dimension 2400 BLUE SCREEN

Keep getting BLUE SCREEN saying:

STOP: C000021a {Fatal System Error}

The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shut down.

I have tried everything... Press F8 Before the Windows XP Splash Screen (still get blue screen)...All Safe Modes (still get blue screen)...Also followed information at this site  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_356576&isLegacy=true

I am also getting this error message when using default startup:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\system32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Everything I have found says you have to get to Recovery Mode. I put my disc in but cannot get there.  PLEASE HELP, I am at a lost!!

6 Posts

This is a:

Dell Dimension 2400

Version 2002 SP3 Home Edition

4CPU 2.55 GHz (PentinumR)

1 GB Ram

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi smebtg,

It is possible you have a hard drive problem, so you need to run the Dell diagnostics on your drive to test it. To test your hard drive using your Dell Drivers and Utilities disc:

1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.

2. Insert the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc in your CD/DVD drive.

3. Pick the option to boot from the CD/DVD drive.

4. You will be prompted to hit any key to continue booting from the CD/DVD drive.

5. You will be prompted to hit 1 to run the Dell diagnostics. You may see two such menus.

6. Select Test System.

7. Select Custom Test.

7. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your hard drive.

9. Click Run Tests.

10. Write down any error messages.

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 21:00

I Insert the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc in my CD/DVD drive. There was not an option to boot from the CD/DVD drive, however I was able  to run the Dell diagnostics. After selecting Test System I then select Custom Test using the arrow keys to select the hard drive and cllicked Run Tests. Confidence Test does not have anything (green check mark) beside it, but all the others did and passed. I am guessing my hard drive is ok??? Restarted, and still have blue screen.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 24th, 2011 06:00

If you have your Dell XP reinstallation disc, you may be able to fix this problem with a repair installation.

However, if you have important files on this drive, you may want to bring your computer to a local shop for help. They can retrieve your important files first, then repair the OS.

6 Posts

October 24th, 2011 09:00

Yes I do have the Dell XP reinstallation disc, but the computer does not recognize (load)  the disc drive.  I went to Boot Sequence and the only item in there is the Hard-Disc Drive C.  Shouldn't the CD/DVD be listed there?  If only I could get to the Recovery Screen, I could restore the computer.  I have already removed all information off the computer before this issue and was getting ready to restore it.

I am able to press F8 and get to the screen Safe Mode, Save Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, etc....however, when I press any of these, it takes me to -Please select the operating system to start-.  The options are Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and Windows (default).  Pressing Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition takes me back to the blue screen while Windows (default) takes me to \system32\hal.dll error.

I only want to use the computer to store information as I do have another Windows 7 that I use daily. Any more suggestions that may be helpful???

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 24th, 2011 18:00

Yes, the CD should appear on the boot list. Do you see your CD drive in the drive configuration list? Or do you see unknown?

6 Posts

October 25th, 2011 07:00

No the CD is not listed in the Boot List... this is the process I took to get there...Started computer, pressed F12, took me to System Setup. I then click on Boot Sequence and there is a check mark by:  1.  Hard-disk Drive C:

I do not see my CD/DVD to do the boot order.  Should it be there?  What I am going to do now is turn off the computer, unplug everything, remove the cd/dvd drive and put it back in.  I will get back with you on this progress.

Last night I ran a Sympton Tree Test for Windows Blue Screen and everything passed and a couple of days ago the Hard Drive test on Sympton Tree, and it passed as well.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 25th, 2011 17:00

There should be a way to add the CD drive to the boot list. You just need to look in the BIOS and follow the instructions provided. If you check your drives list and see Unknown instead of your CD drive, you may have the drive jumper set incorrectly on the back of the CD drive. It should be set to cable select (CS).

6 Posts

October 30th, 2011 16:00

I guess when the computer crashed, it crashed my CD drive.  Anyway, I put another cd/dvd in and I am up and running again.  After all the effort of trying everything under the sun.  Thanks so much for your help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 30th, 2011 17:00

Good to hear! Thanks for letting me know things worked out.

No Events found!