Le9itNova
1 Copper

Dell Dimension 4300 FDD BIOS update help

I've been working at this for about a week and have reached a stalemate. I picked up a Dell Dimension 4300 not to long ago and I wanted to upgrade the processor from a 1.6Ghz P4 @1.75V to something along the lines of a 2.4Ghz Celeron or 2.0Ghz P4 both @1.5V

This shouldn't be an issue I read many articles on the forum that says the board would support any P4 but all recommended a BIOS update before doing anything. I currently have the original A02 BIOS that shipped with the unit and wanted to update it to A06. After struggling to make a bootable floppy disk in both Linuxon another PC (Using Wine) and Windows XP on this machine, I finally have disks that are able to boot. I put it into the system only for it to come up with "Press f1 to retry boot, press f2 for setup"

I then read many articles about IDE controllers going bad on people's hard disks on this system but nothing about the floppy drives. I know the drive and controller work since XP and Linux Puppy can access it. I tried replacing the IDE cable after reseating the original one multiple times. I even replaced the FDD outright to only get the same results. I'm stuck with this situation, I would prefer not to have to scrap this machine and to get Linux running on it, just with a better CPU. And even then I would like to have an updated BIOS.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do next?

Dell Dimension 4300

BIOS version A02

Pentium 4 @ 1.6Ghz

768MB SDRAM

40GB HDD

Geforce4 MX440

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
7 Plutonium

RE: Dell Dimension 4300 FDD BIOS update help

Hi Le9itnova,

One thing to clarify. The FDD cable is different than an IDE cable. Are you sure the FDD is the first boot device in the BIOS?

0 Kudos