Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 12th, 2007 15:00

Dell Dimension 4600 won't boot and shows no hard drive

This Dell dimension 4600 shows the following message when trying to start computer. "Loading PBR for descripter 2...done."

"A disk read error occured
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart"  

No matter how many times you try to start the computer over it hangs here everytime. I am trying to fix this for a senior person. He said it just quit without any warning. I have tried to use a boot disk. It won't access the C drive. Floppy, and CD roms works fine. Also I have tried another hard drive same results no c drive. I have checked the bios and hard drive is set to auto. It won't let me autoload a disk even if I set the boot for cd-rom first.  The driver disk is a autoload disk so I can't even get it to go. I think it has something to do with the controller maybe for the hard drive, how can I tell for sure. I have even tried another ribbon.

I am stumped I don't know if it is settings, or the mother has gone to the that special place. Any help would greatly be appreicated.

Thanks Bud

4 Posts

October 12th, 2007 17:00

I ran the utilty program which did all the test on the system. I got all the following error numbers. I hope this will help along with the previous post.

0F00: 0128        

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 12th, 2007 19:00

bdrich

The hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 12th, 2007 21:00

bdrich

I'm assuming it's an IDE/ATA hard drive

How to replace the hard drive.

Remember to set the jumpers to the 'Cable Select' setting.

How to reinstall XP.

First, disconnect all the peripherals from the system except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

How to configure Dell Dimension series system to boot to the CD or DVD drive.

XP reinstallation guide.

While installing, remember to delete all existing partitions when you are prompted, then recreate the partitions and format the hard drive, following by installing XP.

After installing XP, you need to install the drivers and applications in the following order,

Desktop System Software (if applicable)
Intel Chipset
Video Card
Network Interface Card (NIC)
Sound Card
Modem
All other drivers.

Then, install the Anti Virus utility and update the definitions, followed by all the critical Microsoft updates.

Bev.

4 Posts

October 12th, 2007 21:00

Thanks for the information. I had some other numbers for error codes, but apparently I hit a wrong key and it go posted before I was finished before entering all the codes. The others are: 0F00:0162,0228,0262,0428,0462,1228,1262,1A28 and 1A62.  I believe these are probably codes as well for the hard drive I am guessing. I also tried to install another hard drive, but I can't get it to install, the computer acts the same at the beginning. I know this hard drive is ok. It's a Western digital 40 gb, which is smaller than the original 80 gig. Can you give me step by step instructions for installing this one please. I like to get this back to the owner as soon as I could their grandson is in Iraq, and is wife is in Hawaii and this is how they have been corresponding. I know he will be disappointed, they had some pictures on it that will be lost.  I told him they should save their information to disk. He said he didn't know how, I bet he will have me show him how do it now when he gets this back. Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks bdrich

4 Posts

October 12th, 2007 23:00

System is up and running, just need install the additional drivers and updates. A Big THANK YOU to the helping staff.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 13th, 2007 03:00

bdrich

Please to hear that the problem has been resolved. :)

Bev.

No Events found!