Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2009 12:00

Dell Dimension 8100 Hard Drive Change Issue

I purchased a Dell Dimension 8100 back in 2001 (BIOS Ver: XP2).  Throughout the years I have replaced the hard drive with a 200 GB (Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9) and added a secondary hard drive (160 GB - Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9).  Just recently my main drive (200 GB) went bad and I had to replace it (Western Digital 320 GB).  I replaced the drive and when the machine boots up it displays the following message:

Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 Not Found
Primary Hard Disk Drive 1 Not Found

After that message it displays "Detecting..." and displays a list of my drives.  It reads the first one (0) as WD & the second one (1) as Maxtor.  I go into the BIOS and it reads them as Unknown Devices.

I inserted the CD that came with the WD drive and it is able to read them as Primary & Secondary fine.

Then when I insert the Windows XP Professional w/ SP3 CD it cannot find the drive.

Has anyone encountered this issue before and/or know what the resolution is for this?  I am sure that I am missing something that is simple.

Also I should note that the Jumpers are setup correctly.

Warm Regards,
Joe :emotion-2:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 12th, 2009 14:00

jferranti

Try clearing the NVRAM

See HERE

Bev.

4 Posts

January 13th, 2009 10:00

Thank you for the response.  I did that (for my machine I needed to remove the battery) and when the machine boots up that message no longer appears.  I went into the BIOS and did the reset.  Primary Drive 0 & Primary Drive 1 were reading Off.  I followed the steps in the BIOS reset - Alt + F changes Primary Drive 0 to Unknown Device.  I then loaded the Windows XP Professional CD and was able to get a little further in the installation process but when I get to the point where it looks for the drive I get this - There is no disk in this drive.  I am going to try and update the BIOS from XP2 to A09.  In the past I had an issue with version A09 reading certain peripherals so I had to downgrade it.  If this does NOT work any other suggestions with be helpful.

On a side note - I went back into the BIOS and Primary Drive 0 & Primary Drive 1 are both reading Off after the BIOS reset and reboot.  I changed the settings to Auto and the message appears at the beginning of the startup process.  I went back in and changed the option to User 1 (Primary Drive 0) & User 2 (Primary Drive 1), rebooted the machine and that error went away however those settings are locked in and is not allowing me to change them.  :emotion-6:

Update to the settings being locked.  I waited a little while and went back in and then it allowed me to change the settings.  Also with the BIOS I am going to need to find another machine that has a floppy drive.  The other machines in my house do not have floppy drives.  :emotion-6:

Thanks again
Joe :emotion-2:

No Events found!