Highlighted
rm31859
Silver

Dell Dimension 8300 Hard drive replacement help

Hello all, I have spent half the night reading through posts on here about this subject and I am still confused. A co-worker has given me a very nice older Dimension 8300 desktop. It was built in 2003 and was running XP professional. In return for her giving me the computer I had to pull the hard drive and give it back to her so now I have to install a new drive. The existing drive was an IDE but I want to go back with a SATA drive. I have seen posts about compatibility issues with the new SATA drives on machines this old and recommending going back with an IDE drive and then there are others that say the SATA drives work just fine. I need some guidance on this. Also, Will i need some type of power cable adapter for a SATA drive? Thanks for any and all help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
osprey4
Diamond

RE: Dell Dimension 8300 Hard drive replacement help

Hi RM31859,

The Dim 8300 has two SATA connectors, so you're in business. See the service manual for installation details:

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-83...

You may need a data cable, but there should be available power cables. Keep in mind this is an older SATA I controller. New SATA III drives may not work on SATA I systems.

0 Kudos
rm31859
Silver

I know that I will have to get a SATA data cable but the power supply does not appear to have ant SATA power connectors. That's why I asked about a power cable adapter. The issue with the SATA I controller and a SATA III drive is what's confusing me as to whether I should actually try a SATA drive or go back with an IDE drive. I have read conflicting views on this.

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

I know that I will have to get a SATA data cable but the power supply does not appear to have ant SATA power connectors. That's why I asked about a power cable adapter. The issue with the SATA I controller and a SATA III drive is what's confusing me as to whether I should actually try a SATA drive or go back with an IDE drive. I have read conflicting views on this.

rm31859

Personally, I would install an IDE [aka PATA] hard drive, as there is no performance difference between the 7200rpm IDE and SATA drives.

A 4-pin Molex to 15-pin SATA power adaptor can be purchased from HERE:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816323

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
rm31859
Silver

The main reason I wanted to go back with a SATA drive is just because of the limited selection of UDE drives and the fact that IDE is pretty much going away. I have seen listings for SATA III controller cards but I know very little about them. Is there a SATA III controller card that will work with this computer and let me boot from the drive connected to it?

0 Kudos