Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2015 12:00

Dell Dimension 8300 replace IDE with 1TB SATA hard drive but not found

old IDE 80G hard drive was not enough space so purchased a serial ATA 1TB hard drive.  I have two available SATA connectors . Installed and connected fine, but turning on PC the SATA Drive Not found. Went into BIOS F2 to update settings but still doesn't recognize the SATA drive. Bios is A05

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2015 02:00

Hi Sammy001,

SATA 3 is frequently not compatible with SATA 1 controllers. I suspect that's the problem.

In addition, I believe that if you have both IDE and SATA hard drives, the system will default to booting from the SATA drive and this cannot be changed. So it may be necessary to install your OS onto the SATA drive.

3 Posts

January 19th, 2015 11:00

Hi OSPREY4, I am not sure what you mean by SATA 3? I have a serial ATA hard drive to replace an IDE drive not installing beside the IDE. So only one hard drive serial ATA. I cannot install the OS on the SATA drive since it will not see it.  I did try to change the BIOS setting after hitting F2 when starting but no matter what I changed it still would not recognize it.  Any other thoughts or help me understand what your are saying SATA 3?

3 Posts

January 19th, 2015 12:00

Ok i found the below and yes I guess SATA 3, so there is nothing I can do to add this hard drive SATA 3?  

SATA III (revision 3.x) interface, formally known as SATA 6Gb/s, is a third generation SATA interface running at 6.0Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 600MB/s. This interface is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s interface.

No Events found!