Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2007 21:00

Dell Dimension E510 Hardrive Problem

I have a Maxtor 6L080M0 Hard Drive. My problem, is when I switch the Hard Drive Acoustic mode in the BIOS to "performance" the Hard Drive makes a little clicking sound.. the Hard Drive is louder since it is spinning harder which is normal.. but it begins to make a little click sound when its being used. It sounds like it gets off track or something. This sound ONLY happens when its in this "performance" Acoustic mode. Does anybody else have this problem?? I have also contacted Maxtor, and they say my Hard Drive is dying. I find that hard to believe since its only going on two years old. I have also ran the Seatools for Windows, and it failed the tests.. but I haven't noticed any other strange noises from my Hard Drive. Can anybody give me any advice? Thanks.

167 Posts

August 10th, 2007 23:00

Sounds like the drive is failing. Backup soon.

A drive can fail after 2 years. Just a few days ago my mother's drive failed. Not even a year old and it was a Seagate.

167 Posts

August 11th, 2007 00:00

I consider Wester Digital to be the best out there. From the post I read that Seatools showed the drive as failing right ?

August 11th, 2007 00:00

This is unbelievable. Is Western digital a good manufacturer? I don't see any signs of it failing though! Besides the little clicking in the performance acoustic mode. But right now its at the default bypass BIOS option.

August 11th, 2007 10:00

Correct, but I don't see how it can be failing.
No Events found!