Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2013 18:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3520 disk drive doesn't work.

Hello. I've recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 3520. It runs Windows 8 64 bit. Everything works fine except for the disk drive. It opens, closes, lights up, makes noises, etc. It does everything it should except read DVDs/CDs. I'll put one in and I'm not sure if I'm hearing the disk spin or if it's the laptop's fan. Either way, it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer. When I go into device manager on the DVD/CD-ROM drives section, the only driver there has a little yellow triangle on it and it's presenting the error message "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)." I've tried uninstalling the drivers and letting Windows reinstall them but that never works. I've tried uninstalling them and clicking "check for changes in hardware" or whatever the option is, and a device installer prompt came up but I wasn't sure if it was for my wireless mouse or the DVD drivers. In hindsight I should've waited for it to finish instead of cancelling it because I thought at the time it was my mouse. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!  

July 18th, 2013 15:00

UPDATE: After countless times uninstalling the drivers and using the "Scan for hardware changes" button in the "Action" tab, it finally started working.

2K Posts

July 17th, 2013 19:00

Hi Tactical Newc,

Request you to use the below link and run the MS Fixit. If it doesn’t work then you may follow the steps to manually delete upper filter-lower filter:

http://dell.to/11YkCNe

If you have any other questions do reply to the same thread.

July 17th, 2013 20:00

That did't help. The troubleshooter says that it fixed the issue but it didn't. The disk drive lights up when I put a DVD/CD in like it's reading it, but it never actually does. It does spin at first but then stops and nothing happens.

2K Posts

July 18th, 2013 03:00

Hi Tactical Newc,

Thank you for performing the above step. However, it is not mentioned if you have manually tried  to delete upper filter-lower filter by referring the link provided by me in the above post (You may check in the “Let me fix it myself” option in the above link).

If this also doesn’t work then you may try doing a manual reinstall of operating system depending on the type of operating system that you use.

Note: Please backup the data before attempting this.

July 18th, 2013 14:00

The instructions there are for Windows XP, Vista, and 7. I run Windows 8. Will any of those instructions work for me?

2K Posts

July 18th, 2013 23:00

Hi Tactical Newc,

It is good to know that the issue is fixed. If you have any other questions or issues in future you can either send me a message or start a new thread. However, the link provided by me in the above response holds good for windows 8 also.

No Events found!