Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

March 7th, 2015 16:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 7548 / Samsung SSD 850 EVO "No Bootable Devices" problem

I wanted to upgrade the otherwise lovely new Dell Inspiron 15 7000-7548 to an SSD and bought the Samsung 850 EVO to do so. Did the Samsung One-stop install navigator and cloned the drive. Put it in the Inspiron and you get the "No Bootable Devices" message that has been well recorded with other Inspiron models in these pages. 

This is, based on posts elsewhere I've seen, a serious error, and based on Dell's complete lack of correspondence related to this issue, one that the company seems deeply unmotivated to address. who can blame them? They sell higher-end models with SSDs.

Other posts in this forum chronicle poor souls doing time-intensive data gymnastics, reloading OSes, etc etc., to try to get their Inspirons to recognize their Samsung or other-branded SSDs. Well, the problem is with Dell and whatever they're doing with their BIOS, because as I type, the Samsung 850 EVO is cranking away happily in my four-year old laptop (a Toshiba Portege R705-P41), cloned exactly the same way, if a lot slower, than was the case with the Inspiron before it.

I would like to keep the new Dell, but the SSD is so critical to performance that this old dog is faster than the Inspiron now. I have no faith that the Inspiron will ever recognize it. So I will be returning the Inspiron, and suggest that you do, too, and that our doing so will spur Dell to addresses this issue.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 8th, 2015 06:00

Hi Oscarq,

No bootable devices could mean the SSD is not recognized in the BIOS, or the BIOS cannot find a boot partition. You did not mention the OS, but I assume it's Windows 8. Cloning is hit and miss with this OS (unlike older operating systems, as you have seen for yourself). So I'd recommend a clean installation of the operating system.

It's only time intensive once. After the OS is installed and you create a backup system image, it becomes a very simple exercise to restore that image in the future.

Good luck!

3 Posts

March 8th, 2015 09:00

This is good and helpful -- thanks for taking the time. My deal is I don't have time or interest in monkeying around with this sort of thing (and obviously lack the knowledge, as your kind response exposes) and the drive's in the other machine now anyway.

I, and probably a lot of customers, wanted Dell to offer exactly the product I bought with a 500 GB SSD rather than the 1 TB HDD, charging the $200 or whatever more, no problem. Didn't need full-on XPS magic, so there would have been no cannibalization. Inspiron 7000-class machines  should offer at least that option. The performance difference is so extreme that it's curious that there's a  market for HDDs beyond the low end anyway.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 8th, 2015 10:00

I feel your frustration. With SSDs coming down in price so quickly, I'm sure there will soon be no market for HDDs even in lower end systems except where large capacity storage is needed. And with the growth of cloud storage, that too will go "the way of all flesh".

4 Posts

May 11th, 2015 00:00

Had the same problem, but I changed used a different cloning software and it worked. The problem was the Samsung cloning software. There's a bunch of free ones, I used easytodobackupfree.

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 19:00

I am also having the same situation with my laptop and I like to follow with your solution to this problem. Can you tell me or direct me to a site that could show me how to do a clean installation of the operating system. Thank you

4 Posts

July 4th, 2015 00:00

are you installing a new solid state drive?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 4th, 2015 04:00

Thejodhar,

Please refer to the link in my signature for a good OS installation guide.

2 Posts

July 4th, 2015 05:00

Yes, it's a SanDisk Ultra II SSD drive

1 Message

July 7th, 2015 11:00

Did you find a resolution to this?   I am facing the exact same issue.  Thanks!

4 Posts

July 8th, 2015 10:00

Another method you can use , which is a bit more time consuming and is completely clean install and would require you to reinstall everything including drivers, is to create a Windows's installation media on a USB stick.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media . Just follow the directions on that Microsoft site, it's pretty easy. But before you do, make sure you get your windows product key, which is in settings , PC info. And as for all the drivers you can just go on the dell website.

4 Posts

July 8th, 2015 10:00

First you need a sata USB cable , I got this one off amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/mobile/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=mobile_oh_details_?ie=UTF8&app-action=detail&asin=B00HJZJI84&clickstream-tag=your_order. It worked with my Samsung 850 pro and it should work with any ssd. Then you boot your laptop with the old hard drive still installed, and connect your new solid state drive externally through the sata USB cable. And then using a cloning software, you copy windows to the new solid state drive, and then remove old drive and install the ssd. There are various cloning softwares online, the Samsung one surprisingly did not work so I used easeUS Todo backup free, http://m.download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html.

November 21st, 2015 08:00

Had the same problem while upgrading to the same SSD. I tried using different software to clone drive. Some work some not as much. After I fixed the problem with solution mentioned in this post I investigated other solutions. 

The fastest but by far not the least technical way is to boot and repair the drive.

These are the steps I followed. They depend on what is happening when you try and boot.

1. Create a bootable recovery drive before swapping the drives.

2. Clone the drives using your preferred software.

3. Swap the drive and start your machine. 

***** The machine's response can either be an 1. an attempt to boot which will take you to a blue screen with error 0x0000225 or something of that sort or 2. It will say not bootable device can be seen.

For result 1. Connect your recovery drive reboot and press F12. Select the drive go to advanced settings and start cmd.

type : BCDBoot List

: this will give you a list of connected drives with boot sectors on them, Typically will return C: Samsung Evo 

type : BCDBoot c:\ windows /s c: /f: UEFI

(C id the drive letter it returns for Samsung Evo)

reboot and press f12 and this point your ssd will not appear on the list of available boot devices. You can actually select it and boot into windows but when you reboot it will give result 2 mentioned above. 

Fixing result 2.

boot with the recovery device and start cmd and enter the following instructions

bootrec /scanos

bootrec / rebuildbcd

bootrec / fixmbr

bootrec / fixboot

Restart and enjoy your shinny new hella fast SSD.  

1 Message

January 26th, 2016 08:00

I realize I'm pulling up an old thread, but I'm having this same issue. Your solution gives me hope, but I'm not quite able to follow your instructions.

When I am in the command prompt and type any of the bootrec items you listed, it gives me an error saying bootrec is not an internal or external command...

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

January 28th, 2016 03:00

Just saw your post.

Are you using a recovery disk?

Could you please tell me if any cmd is responding to any standard commands. And when you start the PC which scenario are you getting, number 1 or 2?

1 Message

May 4th, 2016 16:00

I just got a new Samsung 850EVO and the Samsung install says there is no SSD divice present and to check my ssd driver. That would be great but I can't find a specific device driver for SSD, Not sure if I need to do a BIOS update as well? And because I'm not buying anything new from Dell they don't/won't even talk to me. This is very frustrating.

No Events found!