Amirhaji
1 Copper

RE: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 7548 / Samsung SSD 850 EVO "No Bootable Devices" problem

First you need a sata USB cable , I got this one off amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/mobile/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=mobile_oh_details_?ie=UTF8&app-action=detail&asin.... It worked with my Samsung 850 pro and it should work with any ssd. Then you boot your laptop with the old hard drive still installed, and connect your new solid state drive externally through the sata USB cable. And then using a cloning software, you copy windows to the new solid state drive, and then remove old drive and install the ssd. There are various cloning softwares online, the Samsung one surprisingly did not work so I used easeUS Todo backup free, http://m.download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html.

Amirhaji
1 Copper

RE: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 7548 / Samsung SSD 850 EVO "No Bootable Devices" problem

Another method you can use , which is a bit more time consuming and is completely clean install and would require you to reinstall everything including drivers, is to create a Windows's installation media on a USB stick.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media . Just follow the directions on that Microsoft site, it's pretty easy. But before you do, make sure you get your windows product key, which is in settings , PC info. And as for all the drivers you can just go on the dell website.

TheKangarooGuy
1 Copper

Had the same problem while upgrading to the same SSD. I tried using different software to clone drive. Some work some not as much. After I fixed the problem with solution mentioned in this post I investigated other solutions. 

The fastest but by far not the least technical way is to boot and repair the drive.

These are the steps I followed. They depend on what is happening when you try and boot.

1. Create a bootable recovery drive before swapping the drives.

2. Clone the drives using your preferred software.

3. Swap the drive and start your machine. 

***** The machine's response can either be an 1. an attempt to boot which will take you to a blue screen with error 0x0000225 or something of that sort or 2. It will say not bootable device can be seen.

For result 1. Connect your recovery drive reboot and press F12. Select the drive go to advanced settings and start cmd.

type : BCDBoot List

: this will give you a list of connected drives with boot sectors on them, Typically will return C: Samsung Evo 

type : BCDBoot c:\ windows /s c: /f: UEFI

(C id the drive letter it returns for Samsung Evo)

reboot and press f12 and this point your ssd will not appear on the list of available boot devices. You can actually select it and boot into windows but when you reboot it will give result 2 mentioned above. 

Fixing result 2.

boot with the recovery device and start cmd and enter the following instructions

bootrec /scanos

bootrec / rebuildbcd

bootrec / fixmbr

bootrec / fixboot

Restart and enjoy your shinny new hella fast SSD.  

bravoe67
1 Copper

I realize I'm pulling up an old thread, but I'm having this same issue. Your solution gives me hope, but I'm not quite able to follow your instructions.

When I am in the command prompt and type any of the bootrec items you listed, it gives me an error saying bootrec is not an internal or external command...

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TheKangarooGuy
1 Copper

Just saw your post.

Are you using a recovery disk?

Could you please tell me if any cmd is responding to any standard commands. And when you start the PC which scenario are you getting, number 1 or 2?

0 Kudos
BillFox39
1 Copper

I just got a new Samsung 850EVO and the Samsung install says there is no SSD divice present and to check my ssd driver. That would be great but I can't find a specific device driver for SSD, Not sure if I need to do a BIOS update as well? And because I'm not buying anything new from Dell they don't/won't even talk to me. This is very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rynortiz83
1 Copper

Hi Orscarq! I have a Dell Inspiron 7548. I wanted to replace the 1TB HDD with a Samsung 512GB 850 Pro.

I have tried the Samsung Data Migration which didn't work. I have also tried the Reflect Program for Cloning my old hdd onto the ssd. The cloning worked with the Reflect program but when i put in the ssd it say No Bootable device. I have a windows 10. Mind you that this is my first time doing this and have no background on this.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

If your plan is to clone the existing drive:

1.  Turn OFF secure boot before starting.

2.  Make sure the system stays in the same mode it's in now (you cannot change UEFI to Legacy, or AHCI to RAID, etc.).

3.  NEVER boot the system with both the original and freshly cloned drive at the same time until after you've booted the new drive alone.

0 Kudos
rynortiz83
1 Copper

Thanks EJN63 for your help.  I will try to do that now.  As previously stated on my question before, i have no computer background with regards to this kind of stuff. So honestly speaking i don't quite get the part 2 & 3 of your instructions.  I am merely relying on the comment threads here and do trial by error.

0 Kudos