Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

March 7th, 2015 16:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 7548 / Samsung SSD 850 EVO "No Bootable Devices" problem

I wanted to upgrade the otherwise lovely new Dell Inspiron 15 7000-7548 to an SSD and bought the Samsung 850 EVO to do so. Did the Samsung One-stop install navigator and cloned the drive. Put it in the Inspiron and you get the "No Bootable Devices" message that has been well recorded with other Inspiron models in these pages. 

This is, based on posts elsewhere I've seen, a serious error, and based on Dell's complete lack of correspondence related to this issue, one that the company seems deeply unmotivated to address. who can blame them? They sell higher-end models with SSDs.

Other posts in this forum chronicle poor souls doing time-intensive data gymnastics, reloading OSes, etc etc., to try to get their Inspirons to recognize their Samsung or other-branded SSDs. Well, the problem is with Dell and whatever they're doing with their BIOS, because as I type, the Samsung 850 EVO is cranking away happily in my four-year old laptop (a Toshiba Portege R705-P41), cloned exactly the same way, if a lot slower, than was the case with the Inspiron before it.

I would like to keep the new Dell, but the SSD is so critical to performance that this old dog is faster than the Inspiron now. I have no faith that the Inspiron will ever recognize it. So I will be returning the Inspiron, and suggest that you do, too, and that our doing so will spur Dell to addresses this issue.

2 Posts

August 7th, 2016 09:00

Hi Orscarq! I have a Dell Inspiron 7548. I wanted to replace the 1TB HDD with a Samsung 512GB 850 Pro.

I have tried the Samsung Data Migration which didn't work. I have also tried the Reflect Program for Cloning my old hdd onto the ssd. The cloning worked with the Reflect program but when i put in the ssd it say No Bootable device. I have a windows 10. Mind you that this is my first time doing this and have no background on this.  Thanks for your help.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 7th, 2016 17:00

If your plan is to clone the existing drive:

1.  Turn OFF secure boot before starting.

2.  Make sure the system stays in the same mode it's in now (you cannot change UEFI to Legacy, or AHCI to RAID, etc.).

3.  NEVER boot the system with both the original and freshly cloned drive at the same time until after you've booted the new drive alone.

2 Posts

August 7th, 2016 18:00

Thanks EJN63 for your help.  I will try to do that now.  As previously stated on my question before, i have no computer background with regards to this kind of stuff. So honestly speaking i don't quite get the part 2 & 3 of your instructions.  I am merely relying on the comment threads here and do trial by error.

No Events found!