Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 20th, 2012 13:00

Dell Inspiron 1750, Windows 7: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GT10N is not working after MS Critical Updates

I'm having an issue with my DVD Drive - HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GT10N.  I have a Dell Inspiron 1750, Windows 7.

It was working fine, then after 3 critical updates from MS, it stopped reading/writing to the DVD Drive.  The only way I can access the DVD (read or write) is to reboot.  Subsequent loading of different or even the same DVD ended up with the issue of not being able to recognize the DVD.

When I click on the properties of the DVD drive under Device manager, it clocks.  However, after a reboot, the properties worked fine and stated that the driver was working properly.

I recovered to the period before the 1st update was installed and the DVD drive worked as before.  However, MS downloaded the same (I'm assuming) critical updates shortly thereafter.  Low and behold, the DVD drive didn't work again.

The MS CD/DVD fix couldn't fix it.

I also tried UpperFilters/LowerFilters regedit deletes but couldn't find these entries (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116 > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}).  Thank you Osprey4 for your continued help.

I'm hoping that someone can help me.

Thank you,

Duane.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 26th, 2012 16:00

Open device manager, right click the component and select uninstall.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 21st, 2012 04:00

Hi Duane,

This may be an autoplay issue. Open a command prompt by hitting the Windows key and typing CMD. In the box that opens, type the following and then hit enter:

net start shellhwdetection

After you do that, insert another disc and see if you can read it.

12 Posts

January 24th, 2012 06:00

Hi Osprey4,

I tried the command but received the following error:

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

I double-checked my user privileges, and I am an administrator.

Are there any privileges that need to be tweaked?

Thanks,

Duane.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 24th, 2012 11:00

Do a search for CMD, then right click the item and select run as administrator.

12 Posts

January 24th, 2012 18:00

Hi Osprey4,

Tried it, and stated that it has already been started.  What's next?

Thanks Osprey4,

Duane.

C:\Windows\system32>net start shellhwdetection

The requested service has already been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

9 Posts

January 25th, 2012 00:00

Hello Duane,

It's hard to tell what your exact problem is.  Autoplay and CD/DVD problems are generally going to be caused by 3rd-party software (registry values linking to 3rd-party files).  Think of the upper/lower driver as a middleman between you and your CD/DVD-Rom .  Things I would look into are programs like:

1.  AnyDVD

2.  VirtualClone Drive

3.  Daemon Tools (A lot of programs use a version of this program bundled with their software)

These programs are in no way bad, it's just that sometimes this "middleware" gets broken by an update and refuses to function, thusly killing your drive.  Removing or Updating (or sometimes removing after updating)  allows for corrections to that software or  values like upper and lower filters to be removed completely from the registry.  I'm not saying you have these values, if you do, you might want to search for "upperfilter" and "lowerfiter" you'll generally have an easier time than trying to find an ugly string.

Another option would be to reverse back to the working restore point and see if you can block/hide the update in windows update.  That might not get you anywhere, but you could always try that. 

Another way of possibly purging out values from your registry is to remove your IDE/SATA controller (not physically!) from Device Manager.  You might be limited by how much you can remove, but it is one method of a pseudo-purge.  This can force a re-enumeration of the device, which is a good thing in this case.  I've never really had any problems doing this in the past, a reboot will reinstall the devices.

12 Posts

January 25th, 2012 13:00

Thank you tech_freak.  I appreciate all the suggestions.

Is there anyway I can get Dell to assist me with this vs. going in "blind" as I am not much of a techie.  Each suggestion above involves permutations or combinations that are numerous not to mention that I am not that familiar with the terms.

Much appreciated,

Duane.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 25th, 2012 16:00

Yes, if your system is still under warranty, you could certainly try calling Dell tech support. But I personally do not regard the Dell techies very highly, especially for not so simple problems like this.

12 Posts

January 25th, 2012 17:00

Thanks Osprey4.  Any other suggestions on your side?

By the way, how do I "remove your IDE/SATA controller (not physically!) from Device Manager."?

Thanks for everyone's help,

Duane.

12 Posts

January 30th, 2012 06:00

Hi Osprey4 and tech_freak,

Uninstalling the IDE/SATA controller (not physically!) from Device Manager worked!!  The first time I tried it, it froze the computer.  A few days later, I tried it again and it uninstalled and installed with a reboot.

Now, it recognizes DVDs even after you eject and insert it multiple times after reboot unlike before where it would only recognize it upon boot.

You guys are the best.  Thanks for all the help!

Duane.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 30th, 2012 16:00

Excellent! Thanks for posting back.

1 Message

November 13th, 2012 19:00

i dont have IDE/SATA controllers. i have IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

i have a dell vostro a860 windows vista laptop

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 14th, 2012 04:00

Hi Jcw 100,

Can you explain what you need help with?

1 Message

May 7th, 2013 19:00

I just discovered pretty much this same problem. My disc drive has been working just fine then tonight I wanted to import some CDs but I can't get the computer to recognize them. after some digging I came up with, "windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information(in the registry) is incomplete or damaged(code 19) How do I fix this? The laptop is fairly useless to me without its disc drive as I use it primarily to store media. I'm no techie but I'm no dummy either. Do I need to un/reinstall the device? If so where do I find the drivers for it?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 7th, 2013 21:00

Hi leftynomore,

I would suggest you to run the ‘Fixit’ tool from the link below for issue resolution this should take care of the drivers of the optical drive..

http://dell.to/ZFQJuw

If the above steps do not fix the issue then I’d suggest you to run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
  3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the PSA.
  4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

Please let me know if this helps.

No Events found!