Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 23rd, 2013 09:00

Dell Inspiron 530S not recognizing External drive's CD or DVD?

I have no idea what happened here, my external optical drive all of a sudden is not playing any dvd or audio cd's on it's own but works fine otherwise, when I look in My Computer the optical drive :emotion-21: as shown in the attached screenshot is not showing the cd or dvd contents, when I right-click on the drive and select open it plays either cd or dvd so it' 2 things here, the autoplay is not working and the drive is not showing the dvd or cd info as it normally does. I purchased a new external drive and same deal, any ideas how to fix this please?

302 Posts

December 25th, 2013 04:00

Thanks for the advice, I tried this below but it did not work:

There are several reasons for this problem. AutoPlay might be restricted by Group Policy, it could be canceled by a program that is running, or the service that AutoPlay needs to start might not be running.

Here are some things to try:

• Ask your network administrator if AutoPlay is restricted by Group Policy, and if so, what to do instead.

• Close other programs that might be interfering by accessing the device or media directly.

• Follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    2. At the command prompt, type net start shellhwdetection, and then press Enter.

3. Restart your computer.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 25th, 2013 04:00

Hi Mikehende,

Merry Christmas!

Windows 7 has an autoplay troubleshooter. I'd start with that.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 25th, 2013 06:00

After running that command and restarting, go to Autoplay and hit reset defaults. Then see if it works.

If not, check for this missing registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Recreate the key, and then create a key entry 'NoDriveTypeAutoRun' as a REG_DWORD with a value 91 (Hex). Restart.

302 Posts

December 26th, 2013 08:00

Not sure what you mean by check for this key? Please see screenshot to see what I am seeing so I am guessing the key is there? If yes then how should I create a new key entry please?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 27th, 2013 12:00

See if this article helps you see what is needed. The key is within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer, and the value of 91 indicates AutoRun is enabled for CD/DVD drives and USB flash drives.

302 Posts

December 31st, 2013 14:00

Did as you've suggested and thanks for that link, the autoplay now works fine [thank you very much!] but I still have problems with my pc recognizing the contents of tsome drives which is baffling me, I have 2 external drives which you can see the contents of including the G drive but with the Y optical external drive, you cannot see the contents in explorer view as shown in first attachment and an external flash drive [Removable Disk F], you cannot see the contents even when you open up the drive as shown in 2nd attachment but in the explorer view you can clearly see where it shows that 14.2gb is free so the contents are there but just not visible?

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8729/qy7u.png

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7538/gc5s.png

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 31st, 2013 16:00

Go to folder options and uncheck the option to hide protected operating system files. Then see if any files appear in your flash drive file contents window.

302 Posts

January 1st, 2014 04:00

didn't work, I just tried the flash drive on another pc and same deal, does this mean the drive is dead?

302 Posts

January 1st, 2014 07:00

I just tried the "Isobuster" software:

http://www.isobuster.com/

it showed all files on the flash drive so I am not understanding why if one software can read all the files on that drive then why can't windows read it?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 1st, 2014 07:00

Same deal as in you can't see any files? Then yes, that flash drive is dead.

No Events found!