Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2009 13:00

Dell Inspiron 600m laptop problems

After my previous post last week about the cd's not working but dvd's are working, I've been reading some threads on other message boards etc. that other people have had problems too after a number of years of having this laptop I really haven't done anything to much, but other things have happened to it:

1. Slow boot up - it was booting up fine and normal but maybe thursday night/friday morning, it started to boot up slow, it would take a while to actually load up, and once it did, no icons or anything would show up and you'd have to hit ctrl-alt-del to launch into task manager, log off, sign in and everything, and it would work. And the last time my dad was using it, he just hit the power button 10 seconds to do a hard shut down, and so I wanted to do a virus scan so I turned it back on, went to the bathroom, came back, and everything was loaded, I didn't have to log off so I don't know

2. Sound - same night (thursday night) I hit the volume buttons to change volume, and the pop up volume meter came on, but it was sill muted (still is) and I get another pop up that comes up and it says something about the Intellitype, no I uninstalled the driver, because it had the yellow/black exclamation mark with the yellow circle in the device manager, so when I go to reinstall (which i've tried more than once) it says, "There was a plroblem installing this hardware: SigmaTel C-Major Audio, An error occurred during the installation of the device. THe I/0 operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request." I seriously didn't do anything, it just happened after booting up.

3. The Sony CDRW/DVD CRX830E - the last post I  made about this and how dvd's would work, but any kind of cd wouldn't. Before I got off either Thursday night or friday sometime, maybe it was Thursday I can't remember, but for some reason which I have no idea why, I checked the explorer (windows key+e) and clicked on my computer to expand the menu, and it didn't list the CDRW/DVD combo drive, I was thinking, what has happened! my dad had put in a dvd so when I got on, I can still open it and close the drive, and the dvd will load up, but power dvd won't boot up like it did, and opening the program starting the movie was blanked out. I haven't tried putting in a cd yet, and it has the exclamation mark thing in the device manager. and clicking on properties, it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" and I didn't touch this either.

and I was reading something i think it was something having an HP pavillion notebook/laptop and one of the replies was something about how after a while, stuff like sound or whatever, or maybe even the dvd part, might not last for that long?

22 Posts

The best way to check if the problem with your optical drive is with the drive itself is to try booting from a cd. if you have any bootable cd then you can try this. if you have the dell resource cd then try booting from the resource cd by pressing F12 on the dell logo when the computer is started then choose onboard or usb cd rom drive and make sure the resource cd is in the drive. Press any key when prompted and if boots from the disk then your problem is a software issue. this sometimes happen becuase of conflicting media related programs( NERO, itunes, other cd/dvd applications etc.)

I haven't done that, but that reminds me of something I should've put in my post but forgot to, but I did try the dell diagnostics(f12 at start up) and I could hear the sound and it was working and everything) so maybe that's a software thing?

22 Posts

what kind of test did you perform using the dell diagnostics? is it express test? custom test? I suggest doing a custom test and it will ask you what device to test. then test the optical drive. there will be times during the test where it will ask you to enter or remove a digital media or a data disk. please use your resource cd for this. but if you have a bootable disk as i said earlier, then it is a software issue if you can boot from the disk. the resource cd is a bootable disk.  

January 19th, 2009 14:00

well I haven't performed a diagnostics test on the cd but the sound works in the test but not in windows, and booting it up, it's still kinda slow but then te icons appear right away

22 Posts

Here are other things that you can try.

1. Uninstall the optical drive from device manager.

Click start > right click my computer > click properties > go to hardware tab > go to device manager > look for your optical drive. right click it then click uninstall. then restart the computer. ( you do not need to reinstall it, it automatically configures itselft after restart ). try if it works after restart. if not tr the next step

2. Delete upper and lower filters from registry.

Step 1: Start Registry Editor

Start Registry Editor by clicking run > type "regedit"

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
  3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
  4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
  5. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only.
    • If you see the UpperFilters registry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.
    • If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to "Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry."
  6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  7. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?

The UpperFilters registry entry is removed.

22 Posts

Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click LowerFilters. Note You might see a LowerFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click LowerFilters only. If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site. On the Edit menu, click Delete. Click Yes when you receive the following message: Are you sure you want to delete this value? The LowerFilters registry entry is removed. Exit Registry Editor. Step 4: Restart your computer

ok I might try that

but is there anything from anyone, abut the other two problems?

22 Posts

January 19th, 2009 15:00

SLOW BOOT

There could be several things that can cause this.

1.) Startup Items.

you can check what programs are running in the background when the computer stats. Go to start > run > type msconfig and click ok.

go to startup tab. from here you can choose what programs to start when you turn on the computer. in my computer i disabled everything but the antivirus. You may find items here like adobe acrobat, why would you like your pc to automatically run it in the background if you do not need it. even if it does not automatically start when the computer is turned on it will still work anyway.

With the other problem, the message that you are getting means that something iin the background is still working with your device and it is busy. you need to terminate this application by using task manager. try disabling startup items first and restart pc and try reinstalling driver again.

January 19th, 2009 18:00

oo I never thought of that

but then I should've said, by bootup I mean the windows xp screen with the blue bar that goes across cause i takes like maybe 5 minutes or so

No Events found!