ealkits
1 Nickel

Dell OEM Toshiba CD-RW

I know this sounds nuts but I bought a Dell Dimension 3000 several years ago but until now I've used it for a business and our home finances and emails and searchs.  Now we don't have the business I want to clear out some of my old floppys over onto an RW disc.  I can't get the computer to burn whether I use the Sonic burner that came w/it or the Media Player.  I can listen to CDs, I often use a Broderbund CD to make cards or some other crafty thing.  So I know the drive is working - but it just won't burn.  In Sonic for example you move the folders you want to burn into a window in their program and then hit Burn.  Nothing.  No better luck in Media Player.  There you just right click on the folder and Send it to the CD-RW.  But when you try to burn - nothing.  Very frustrating!  Can anybody give a hint here about what might be wrong?  Thanks.   Elliott

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Skybird
5 Rhenium

Re: Dell OEM Toshiba CD-RW

Look in the Device Manager .........

Start | Control Panel | System in classic view | Hardware tab | Device Manager

Click on the (+) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives.  This will reveal the Brand and Model of
drive.  Please post that.

What type and brand of disc are you trying to burn?  Is there an error message of some type?

0 Kudos
ealkits
1 Nickel

Skybird

Thank you for answering my post.

The listing under the CD/DVD is TSSTcorpCD-RW   TS-H292B    I tried a Kodak CD-R w/700MB 52X.  When that didn't work I went to

Staples DVD-RW 4.7GB 4X     Both say they can record data.  Neither one worked.  When I open them they are blank. 

I thought I was better then a beginner at a computer but this raises self-doubts.

There is no error message.

Elliott

0 Kudos
ealkits
1 Nickel

0 Kudos
Skybird
5 Rhenium

The TS-H292B is a Combo (CDRW/DVD) drive.  It will read and write
CD media and only read DVD media.  Thus, the Staples DVD-RW will
not work at all and should not even be recognized by the drive.

What Operating System are you running and what burning software
do you have installed?

You said "When I open them they are blank.".  Does that mean they
appeared to burn the data successfully, then when you try to
read the disc it shows no data?

0 Kudos
ealkits
1 Nickel

Skybird,

Thanks.  I'm using Windows XP.  It came installed with a Sonic Burner that I don't find in my Program list but wh/automatically pops up as an icon on my desktop.  I also have Media Player wh/has a data burn function.  That's a little harder to understand.  The transfer of files to be burned works easily but then it instructs you to go to the Transportation Pane and rightclick and there will be an option to Burn but that doesn't happen.  Of course now that you explain away the Staples disc I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll go out and get a CD-RW and try that.  I don't want to use the Kodak b/c I wouldn't be able to erase it and re-use if I wanted to.

Thank you for your help.  I'll let you know what happens when I have the CD-RW in hand.

Elliott

0 Kudos
Skybird
5 Rhenium

I made an error when I described your drive as a Combo drive.  It is a CDRW drive and cannot read DVD media.  It can read and write CD media.  My apologies for the mistake.

0 Kudos