Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2009 08:00

Dell Studio 15 Laptop Disk Drive not working issue

Hello, I have around a 5 month old Dell Studio 15 laptop which apart from minor errors with sound and wifi which I fixed, has been working pretty well. Yesterday I used disks in my laptop for pretty much the first time, and at first they worked fine but then it wouldn't read any and whenever I went to My Computer and clicked the DVD drive it would spit it back. I'm leaving the states today and won't be back for 2 months, so I'm guessing I can't get this fixed by Dell (going to Poland). Do Dell customers just have to live with this and shell out a couple hundred dollars for an external disk drive?

I found a video on youtube that has the same exact problem as mine, here it is:

[video]

Full Screen

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2009 18:00

Hi, Gimgak:

Please run the Dell diagnostics on your DVD/CD drive. That's the first thing to do to tell if you have a hardware problem.

1 Message

November 30th, 2009 05:00

Did you get anywhere with solving this? I have the exact same problem and surprise surprise its started happening just after my warranty has expired so I don't expect any free help from tech support. This seems to be another Dell Studio quirk (along with the crackly sound and dodgy earphone sockets) so if anyone has a solution please post. All my discs are hundreds of miles away and it won't recognise anything I put in the drive anyway. arghhh

Thanks

1 Message

December 11th, 2011 13:00

Hi

I have the same laptop and I've had the same problem. I've found a solution: 

What actually happens

The hardware gets disabled. I'm not sure how or when this happens, but I'm guessing it's some power-saving feature that doesn't reverse itself.

How to fix it 

1. Open Device Manager. Easiest way is to click the start button, type "Device Manager" and press enter
  2. Expand 'DVD/CD-ROM drives'. Do this by clicking on the Triangle next to the words.
  3. Identify your DVD ROM and double click on it. Mine is called "TSSTcorp DVD+-RW ...". The properties window will open.
  4. Select the 'Driver' tab.
  5. Click the 'Enable' button. (2nd from bottom of the list of buttons)
  6. Click OK. Your drive should work now. Hopefully it started up with a triumphant 'whuuzzzzzz'

I Hope this helps.

1 Message

April 8th, 2012 10:00

Hi ZA_SIMON

I have the same problem. I followed you step and found my drive to enabled, so I guess this is not the actual problem.

Anyone with a solution?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 8th, 2012 13:00

Hi ZA_SIMON

I have the same problem. I followed you step and found my drive to enabled, so I guess this is not the actual problem.

Anyone with a solution?

Hi thlaku,

Please test your drive using the Dell diagnostics. When you post back, it would be helpful if you provide the model and OS of your Dell.

October 25th, 2012 02:00

I had the same issue -- and actually found that my drive was enabled as well -- UNTIL I followed the exact instructions above, AND had to designate the country I was from: the United States.  After that the DVD player fired right up and instantly worked!

Thanks much...  How this helps someone else.   Talk about frustrating!! 

October 25th, 2012 02:00

You designate the country you are from by clicking on the DVD Region tab.  

1 Message

January 3rd, 2015 08:00

There is not point testing your drive using the Dell Diag, because when it ask you to insert a disc it will be rejected, due to the fact that it can not read it,

No Events found!