Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2009 20:00

Dell Studio 1537 DL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GA10N-(S2) not detected by Windows

Hello everyone.  I am hoping that someone can help me.  I've had a Dell Studio 1537 laptop since February and am all of a sudden having problems with it.  Apparently Windows decided it was no longer going to detect my  DL-DT-ST 8x DVD+/-RW GA10N-(S2) slot-loading drive.  I can load and eject media externally (i.e. the media control buttons) but Windows does not show the drive on the control panel, nor the device manager -- anywhere.  I upgraded the BIOS from A08 to A09 hoping that that would fix the problem but to no avail.  The drive is detected in the BIOS just fine, btw.  I've also downloaded the firmware upgrade for the drive but the actual firmware flasher doesn't detect the drive either.  Is this a registry key problem?  I am not too keen on fiddling with the registry, but if I can be pointed in the right direction I think I can pull it off.  I am running Windows 7 RC1 x64 if that helps any (probably doesn't since it's a release candidate).  I'd appreciate any input.  :emotion-1:

157 Posts

June 16th, 2009 04:00

If you back up the registry 1st, if anything goes wrong you can just revert back to saved point. The Windows registry backup is not reliable (I wonder if our very Christian moderator will allow me to say that) so I use Erunt http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm which I've used several times to save my bacon.

3 Posts

June 16th, 2009 09:00

Thanks laz123, but I still have the issue as to what I need to look for in the registry that might be causing the problem. Any ideas?

3 Posts

June 17th, 2009 10:00

Anyone?  Will I possibly have to reinstall Windows?

1 Message

December 12th, 2009 21:00

have you figured out a way to fix this problems or did you have to reinstall Windows 7 ? usually that's the best way to go...this is caused by registry problems. contact me at  if you havent already fix it or persists.

<Admin Note:Email-id removed per privacy policy>

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 13th, 2009 06:00

This problem is nearly always the famous upper and lower filter issue. The solution is to follow the procedure on this site under:

Windows 7 DVD Drive Not Working or Missing Registry Fix – Solution 2

No Events found!