Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2012 07:00

Dell Studio 1558 CD Rom drive drivers

Hi, I recently had the problem of a blank disc getting stuck inside the cd drive. After attempts to restart etc I looked into it firther and my computer said the drive was not started as it contained corrupt registry files. Anyway to cut a long story short I decided to reinstall the driver to see if that would help so uninstalled the device driver but now cannot find the driver anywhere on the dell site in order to complete a re-installation. So any help would be appreciated in where to locate a a download of the driver. As mentioned in the title im using a Studio 1558 laptop with a slot load cd. Thanks

10.9K Posts

September 8th, 2012 09:00

The driver is a generic Microsoft one supplied by Windows.  All drives use the same one.  Look in the Device Manager and right-click the drive ands select Properties.  Is there an error code?

September 8th, 2012 09:00

When you view the drivers it has a yellow exclamation mark over it. When you go to properties it says that the drive didn't start as registry files are missing. Followed by Code 19? 

10.9K Posts

September 8th, 2012 10:00

This Microsoft Article should resolve your issue ........

support.microsoft.com/.../982116

If the "FixIt" does not work, scroll down the page and follow the manual instructions for your operating system.

10.9K Posts

September 8th, 2012 11:00

So the "Fixit" did not work?  Sometimes it happens, but rempving the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters manually has always worked.  Follow the manual instructions carefully again to see if it works.

September 8th, 2012 11:00

Cheers but the fixit option did not work and the other suggestions also failed. Final option of uninstalling drivers and restarting computer led to it telling me it had failed to reinstall the driver after reset.

No Events found!