Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2012 20:00

Dell Studio XPS 1645 jammed slot loading drive.

Fellow Dell users, So I've got a XPS 1645, and ive got a problem. I can't eject a disk from the DVD/BLU Ray drive. I've updated The touch pad drives incase they were being difficult but that doesn't work, and I've tried the windows drop down menu on the drive and that doesn't work. The drive tries to eject the disk, ie stops spinning, does that first wurring noise as it goes to eject, then nothing The disk stays stuck and windows pops up with an error box sayin it can't eject the disk. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

803 Posts

September 20th, 2012 20:00

Hi slalom72,

This could be a mechanical failure with the DVD drive. Let's try to eject the disc by booting into the system BIOS.

1. Start the system and press the F2 key on the Dell logo screen to enter the BIOS set up. Once in the BIOS set up use the eject button to eject the disc.

2. Uninstall Dell Quick Set application from Programs and Features and restart the system. Install Quick set using this link:  

Studio XPS 1645 Quick Set for Windows Vista and Windows 7 64bit: http://dell.to/UvAznc

3. Update the DVD drive firmware available at Dell support site. (Open Device Manager and under Disk Drives you will find the model number of the DVD drive. You can locate the drivers for that specific DVD drive under the Removable storage category on the Drivers and Downloads home page. Enter the service tag and select the operating system to narrow down the search for the correct drivers)

If none of the above mentioned steps can eject the disc, the DVD drive will have to be replaced.

Please reply with the results.

803 Posts

September 21st, 2012 00:00

Hi slalom72,

Thank you for the reply. I would suggest you to run a custom scan on the DVD drive using PC Check up in Dell support center. If  you need to install Dell support center please use this link: http://dell.to/HkLYR2

If the DVD drive fails the custom test in Dell support center, the drive will have to be replaced.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

2 Posts

September 21st, 2012 00:00

Satya P,

I tried to eject the disk whilst in the BIOS and it kept doing the same thing, sops spinning, unlocks the disk, and attempts to eject, then got stuck. Ive already updated Quickset drivers, and I couldnt update dvd drive firmware because it needs an empty disk drive. However, I dug two plastic club membership cards out of my wallet (ones without the raised text or card numbers) and jiggled the disk a little and out it slid, not sure why it got stuck, maybe there is a slight burr on the disk, but ive tried it now with a few other disks and they havent stuck again, so hopefully its fixed, it sure beats replacing the BR disk drive.

Regards.

1 Message

March 16th, 2013 18:00

Hi. I have had the same issue, however for me the DVD/CD/Blu-ray optical drive does not even try to eject the disc. I have to go to the BIOS and eject it manually. When I tried to put another disc in, the drive accepts it, but will not register that a disc is present. In other words, it does not show up in the My Computer drives list.

I have tried troubleshooting form the Device manager and re-installing all driver software, however I get this message:

"Driver Device not Successfully Installed"

this is the detection report:

Devices and Printers
Publisher details
Issues found
CD-ROM Drive has a driver problem
There is a problem with the driver for CD-ROM Drive. The driver needs to be reinstalled.
Not fixed
Not Fixed
Reinstall device driver
Completed
Problem with PnP devices
Problem with PnP devices
There are problems with some PnP devices. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot these devices.
Detected
Detected
Potential issues that were checked
Windows Update configured to never install drivers
Driver updates aren't automatically installed when detected by Windows Update.
Issue not present
Issues found
Detection details
Not fixed
Not Fixed
There is a problem with the driver for CD-ROM Drive. The driver needs to be reinstalled.
Informational
Device information
Name: CD-ROM Drive
ID: IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_DVDRWBD_CA10N__________________A110____\5&C189E36&0&1.0.0
Error code: 19
Reinstall device driver
Completed
There is a problem with the driver for CD-ROM Drive. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem.
Problem with PnP devices
Detected
Detected
There are problems with some PnP devices. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot these devices.
Potential issues that were checked
Detection details
Issue not present
Driver updates aren't automatically installed when detected by Windows Update.
Detection details
Expand
Collection information
Computer Name: SARAH-PC
Windows Version:
Architecture:
amd64
Time:
Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:26:45 AM
Publisher details
Expand
Devices and Printers
Troubleshoot problems with devices and printers.
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Corporation
Devices and Printers
Troubleshoot problems with devices and printers.
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Corporation
Hardware and Devices
Use hardware and access devices connected to your computer.
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Windows
I'm not sure where to go from here. I tried running a Dell PC checkup, but the PC checkup doesn't list the drive. 

1 Message

September 3rd, 2014 13:00

I had a similar problem, in that the dvd drive was lost (not in registry) with a disc in the drive. Opening the BIOS (F2) and ejecting worked! Now to reinstall the dirver.

No Events found!