Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2013 13:00

Dell XPS 15 optical drive will not accept disk

I'm having an issue with my BD-ROM drive. I inserted a disk and installed a program. I ejected the disk with no problem. I tried to insert another disk, but the drive will not accept the disk. It does not pull the disk in, although it does make a clicking noise as if attempting to take the disk. It makes the same noise repeatedly on startup, as well. There is resistance if I attempt to push the disk in all the way.

This appears to be a mechanical failure, correct?

I ran the PC Doctor or PC Diagnostics, whatever it's called, from the Dell website, but was unable to complete the diagnosis, since I could not insert a disk when the program requested one.

Help!

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 8th, 2013 16:00

Hi jsat1978,

Please boot to the Dell diagnostics (F12) and test your drive. You'll need to insert a data disc to run the read test. If the drive will not accept any disc when running the diagnostics, then it definitely needs to be replaced.If it does accept a disc, then there's some sort of software problem.

Let me know what happens and we'll go from there.

4 Posts

July 9th, 2013 07:00

I ran the Diagnostics you mentioned; the would not accept a disc.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 9th, 2013 09:00

Hi jsat1978,

I would like you to check the functionality of optical drive in BIOS.

To enter BIOS, please restart the computer by tapping F2 key at Dell logo.

Check if the optical drive is ejecting in BIOS and post the results.

Also run Dell 32 Bit Dell Diagnostics on Optical drive. To run the tests please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Switch on the computer, tap F12 at dell logo to enter “One-time boot menu”.
  2. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight “Diagnostics” and press enter.
  3. Select Custom Test and select “Optical drive”.
  4. If the test fails, please capture the error code and let me know for the next course of action.

Please reply for further help.

4 Posts

August 19th, 2013 09:00

I have been traveling for the past several weeks, and I've just now returned home and have a chance to address this issue again.

Regarding the BIOS check, I attempted to insert and eject a disk but the drive will not accept a disk at all. The disk goes in most of the way, but is never "grabbed" and pulled in completely. It just pops back out, so I was neither able to insert nor eject a disk in BIOS.

As for the Diagnostics check, it returned no errors. In fact, it said everything was "ok." Of course, this isn't true, since I cannot actually insert a disk.

I believe that the 1 year warranty on this machine is up soon, so now that I'm back in town, I need to resolve this as soon as possible.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 19th, 2013 09:00

Hi jsat1978,

I suggest you to download and install the latest Optical Drive Firmware from the link and restart the system: http://dell.to/17F08dH

1. Enter the Service tag of the computer in the box provided and click “Submit”.
  2. In the next page, click drop down arrow to select the Operating System which is installed in the computer.
  3. Under category removable storage, select the drivers accordingly and click “Download File” and save the file on desktop.
  4. Run and install the file, restart the system and try to insert and eject the disc from the optical drive.

Please post the results.

4 Posts

August 19th, 2013 13:00

There was no "removable storage" option under Category. I looked through the list of all available downloads, and none related to the optical drive.

Further suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 20th, 2013 01:00

Hi jsat1978,

The optical drive needs to be replaced, if the computer is under warranty, I would be glad to arrange a service on the computer. Check warranty status: http://dell.to/13VPd97

Please private message me the service tag, registered owners name and address.

To private message me please click my user name and click Start conversation.

In case of expired warranty scenario, we would not be able to extend warranty entitled services.

If the warranty on the computer has expired, below link would help you in contacting expired warranty services (this is for US based customers): http://dell.to/VPYT4T

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!