Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 9th, 2013 14:00

Dell XPS 600 read/write DVD Problem

My system is a Dell XPS 600 and has a DVD/ROM reader & a DVD RW. The reader works fine but the DVD RW will not read/write or recognize a disc is inserted. The original drive failed while running normally with WIN XP. I have replaced the drive (w/Lite-on SOHW 1633s), loaded all latest drivers, flashed drive firmware and nForce4, switched drives and cables, switched from Win XP to WIN 64 bit with  the same results. The drive will not work, except when I load the WIN XP bootable drivers disk it will read and open files as it should.Can you help?

5 Posts

March 13th, 2013 18:00

Osprey4,

I believe you are right. The new drive is the problem and I will get another to confirm it.

I switched the drives and still the RW does not work.

Thanks for you help.

jdm05klm

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 9th, 2013 16:00

Hi jdm05klm,

Boot to the BIOS and verify that the SATA port to which your RW drive is connected is turned ON. If on, make sure both optical drives are present in the BIOS. If both are present in the BIOS, boot to safe mode and tell me if both drives show up in My Computer.

I'm going to move this thread to the disk drives forum, which is the appropriate place for your issue.

5 Posts

March 10th, 2013 14:00

Hey Osprey4,

Thanks for responding. I am up a tree with this one and out of my league.

Answering your questions: BIOS reports -- Drive 4: PATA-0  -- ON (DVR-ROM) & Drive 5: PATA-1 -- ON (DVD RW - no work)

Safe Mode > My Computer> shows CD Drive D:  & Cd Drive E:

I might add that before I wiped the hard drive it was running under WIN XP SP3 and the DVD RW did not read/write. I ran the diags and the drive passed all hardware tests. It's strange that it will read and open the files on the WIN XP Recovery disk.

Any help would be appreciated. It's and old PC but a very interesting one.

jdm05klm

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 11th, 2013 16:00

Ok, thanks. That's the information I was looking for.

When you ran the diagnostics, did you perform the read test on both drives with a disc in each?

5 Posts

March 11th, 2013 17:00

Yes I did and both drives passed all the hardware tests.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 12th, 2013 16:00

I forgot to ask, when you installed the new drive, did you set the drive jumper to cable select?

Assuming that's ok, I would try deleting both drives from device manager, as well as the IDE controller, then reboot. Check device manager and make sure there are no exclamation points on either optical drive.

If you continue to have read/write problems with the Lite-On drive, try the upper and lower filter trick (link below).

5 Posts

March 12th, 2013 17:00

Yes. Both DVD's are set to CS.

I have deleted both drives from device manager and the controller and let them be rediscoverewd and installed. All hardware looks good. i have tried the upper/lower filter to no avail.

It seems strange to me that the drive will not read/write and type of formatted or blank disk, except the Windows XP Recovery disk with the drivers. It reads this disk and will open any of the executable files on it.

I have Win 7 SP1 now running on this ole guy and it looks very good except the DVD RW does not work. Could some part of the NVIDIA motherboard controller have failed. The unit was running fine under Win XP SP3 when the drive failed to burn a disk. No smell or other indication of a problem.

Can you help?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 13th, 2013 16:00

I really think the most likely explanation is that your new drive is bad. Since they're both on the same IDE cable, it's unlikely that a controller problem would impact just one drive.

Why don't you try it with just the RW drive, the other disconnected?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 14th, 2013 17:00

Ok, hope the replacement works.

No Events found!