Highlighted
aditya_ch
1 Copper

Dell inspiron 7559 making weird noises.

Hello all, Recently i have purchased a dell inspiron 7559 laptop, and I had been hearing some audible(yet faint) read head sounds from the SSHD. I thought it was normal until i heard some faint clicking sounds( usually after using some android studio). I ran SMART tests and DST tests on the hard drive and it managed to pass all the tests, but the clicking bothered me and I contacted Dell and got the SSHD replaced. But now, even the new sshd is making the same noises despite passing all the tests again. I hear some high pitched faint electronic buzz coming from the laptop as well(. What could be causing a problem? The new and the old hard disks are Toshiba MQ02ABD100H, does anyone have this hard drive in their laptops and experiencing this issue?

If it helps, I have noticed through a few benchmarkings that the write speed of the hard disk(50mbps) is half the read speed, while transferring files of 1gb size.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Dell inspiron 7559 making weird noises.

Hi Aditya,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Request you to please remove the hard drive from the system and then check by powering on the system, if there are any noise persisting from the fans. If you have got another good know hard drive you might try that one on this system and this hard drive on the other system to check, if there is an issue with the hard drive itself.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

DELL-Infant R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
aditya_ch
1 Copper

Thank you for the reply.

I am afraid I cannot do that as the device is under warranty. And also, the sound does not come when I get into the bios, while the fans are active. That might explain that the sound is from the hard drive itself.

Another observation I have seen lately is, that whenever the hard drive performance jumps from 0% to relatively high value such as 30% or 40%, that's when the clicking sound is occurs. If that helps you identify the issue.

I am worried, because this is a new hard drive, and still is making sounds, however I want to know if it is normal for this particular hard drive to make such sounds.

0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

As the system is still under warranty, you may try the above steps to isolate the hard drive. If it has the clicking sound, we can get it replaced as per your system warranty entitlements.

DELL-Infant R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos