Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2015 21:00

Desktop Studio 540 hard drive failure

I have a desktop Studio 540 I bought 5 years ago. It had two 640G drives in it which I did not know. I only needed one drive so I decided to use the master drive as C:\ to boot from, and the second drive (HD1) for files. I installed Win XP Pro on the main drive. After a time I disconnected HD1 and used only the HD0 master drive for the last 4 years. A couple of weeks ago, the drive became slow. I did a Dell Diagnostic test and it said the HD0 drive had failed then I couldn't boot it at all, and still can't. I get the error code 2000-0146 which means failed drive. 

The second drive (HD1) tested OK but master drive HD0 has boot files on it, so I can't boot the HD1 drive. I also can't access my XP setup disk even if set to boot first-I get same error NTLDR missing and have to exit. I can't view files on hard drive or Win XP disk.I can view files on XP disk on my  laptop and see NTLDR file and ntdetect.com file on it but not on my desktop. Is there a way to get my "good "drive to  be able to boot? Or if I got a new hard drive or portable drive, would my Win XP set up disk work so I could boot to the desktop. Any other solution?  Or is my desktop no good now?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2015 17:00

Hi book92,

Yes, you should be able to use HD1 as your new boot drive. But you'll need to install Windows XP onto that drive. To do this, you'll need to boot from the XP disc, although it sounds like you're having trouble with this. What I would do is remove the bad drive, install HD1 in the SATA port 0 or 1, whichever is the first port, then boot to the F12 menu and, with your XP disc in the drive, select the option to boot to the DVD drive. If the PC fails to pick up the XP disc, keep trying. If it just simply will not work, then you can look online for a procedure to create a Windows XP installation USB flash drive using your XP disc.

Getting files off your bad drive is most likely not going to be possible.

28 Posts

July 24th, 2015 20:00

Hi osprey4, Thanks for reply.

I thought I would be able to use HD1 as my new boot drive, but know it would need Win XP on it, but Win XP CD is not accessible though the boot files can be seen on it but won't boot. I already put HD1 in SATA HD0 which is the first port, but makes no difference.

The 2 drives are the same except for the letters PM in the middle of model number in the HD0 drive and SM in the HD1 drive. PM and SM probably mean Primary and Secondary drives. I have put the disc drive first in booting order many times in both F2 and F12 but makes no difference. I still can't get the Win XP disk to boot nor the hard drives. I don't know why the Win XP disc won't boot. It always did before.

It probably doesn't affect anything, but when I bought the computer new it had RAID on it. I did not know what RAID was  and wouldn't have got it if I did. It took a while to get rid of and I had t get some help. Then changed the BIOS from RAID to ATA drive.
I don't know anything about booting from a USB. I put a USB drive in one of my USB spots on the computer for first time today. I use them mainly to copy photos. In the BIOS under "Integrated peripherals it showed "SATA mode USB ATA" and in Boot Device priority as 3rd boot USB Generic flash. It doesn't look easy to boot from a USB drive. I don't know if it would help  as I can't access the Win XP disc. By the way, when I put the HD 1 (good drive) where the HD0 drive was, it shows in the BIOS as if it was the Primary drive. That connection always shows as HD0 no matter which drive in there.  
Would my win XP setup disc work on a new hard drive? Would it work if I used a Reinstall/recover XP disc for Dell computers or a new external drive? I have some ideas but they may not work.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 29th, 2015 17:00

Yes, the XP disc will install the operating system on any hard drive you put into the desktop. No, you cannot install XP onto an external drive. But you must be able to boot to the XP disc for this to work.

28 Posts

July 30th, 2015 21:00

Hi osprey4:

Yes, the XP disc will install the operating system on any hard drive you put into the desktop. No, you cannot install XP onto an external drive. But you must be able to boot to the XP disc for this to work.

I still can't access the XP disc. I just get the same error  "ntldr is missing" and can't access the remaining good hard disc either. I've been searching how to make a USB boot disk but I don't know if I could do that. Even if I succeed, it may not work and there is no guarantee it will fix the problem. I'll keep working on it for now. Thanks for your information.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 31st, 2015 16:00

Two things I would try. Disable all boot options in the BIOS other than the DVD drive. That should force the system to try loading from the XP disc.

Apart from that, it's very easy to create an XP install flash drive. One of these results should help.

28 Posts

August 17th, 2015 13:00

Hi Osprey4,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I had already tried disabling everything you said in your message, but didn't help. I still can't access the computer with the Win XP disc, but I'm a bit further ahead. I downloaded Hiren's program which is interesting and made a bootable USB from it and I will soon get a Win XP bootable USB, and see if it will iinstall on my desktop and get it going again. I wouldn't say it's very easy to make a bootable USB. I had to get instructions and it took me long enough :) Thanks.   

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 17th, 2015 15:00

Ok, good to hear. It's so much faster to install from a flash drive.

28 Posts

August 17th, 2015 17:00

To Osprey4.

Yes, booting with a flash drive is quite different. I still have a ways to go yet before I see if the bootable Win XP USB can install Win XP and if I can access the hard drive. I would consider it to be extremely successful after all the things I've tried. I will  find out. soon.Thanks for your input.

No Events found!