Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 27th, 2009 01:00

Desktop won't recognize CD-RW/DVD Dimension 3000 XP

Some how my Dimension 3000 XP will not acknowledge my two drives (CD/rw & DVD). Checking My Computer they are no longer listed - only C & F. Place a disk in either one green light blinks and then nothing.  Did a restore only allowed back to 08/29/09 and said nothing changed.  As I do not use these drives often they could of be lost further back.  I saw couple articles of how to config/Bios, but as I am a illiterate on this stuff - was too afraid to try anything else without help.  Did the F12 - Utility as read on one posting - but different system than mine so not sure what to look for.  Also, upgraded MS Office to Office 7 about 9 mths ago, if that means anything for this problem.

Anyone out there know how I can get these two drives working again?  I would greatly appreciate any help offered...thanks..d.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 27th, 2009 13:00

You're welcome! Glad everything is working.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 27th, 2009 04:00

Hi, Deezie:

Please go to the CD/DVD FAQ (link below) and follow the instructions under "code 39 error". That should fix this problem. If it does not, then you should run the Dell diagnostics on both drives. Let me know if you need instructions for that.

7 Posts

November 27th, 2009 06:00

Hello, Osprey - ran "code 39" twice - both times during the run a popup came indicating "new hardware found" and then at the end could not fix.  I checked "My Computer" again and drives are still missing. So how do I run the Dell diagnostics?? thanks...d..

7 Posts

November 27th, 2009 06:00

Found the Dell Diagnostics in the Dell Manual on desktop -- will try running and get back to you...again, thanks...d.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 27th, 2009 07:00

If the diagnostics return no errors, then try the code 39 trick again, but this time I want you to use the Fix It for Me button on this page.

7 Posts

November 27th, 2009 07:00

Okee-dokee - ran three diagnostics, express, custom and tree --  all three passed.  Where to from here -- still no CD/DVD drives in "My Computer" -- only A & F?

7 Posts

November 27th, 2009 12:00

Yes! Yes! Yes, it worked, Big thank you.  One note:  The first times I ran the Code 39 was with the Fix It for Me button -- when I went in to repeat this time the Fix for me came up with the same found but could not fix.  So, I took the three steps back and punt - did the manual – Eureka!  The Drives are proudly in “My Computer” again; and the best part is I tried them and they work….Thank you so very much for your time, patience and expert knowledge…thank you.  :emotion-1:

1 Message

December 4th, 2009 22:00

My Sony CRX330 disk drive was not being recognized after a reinstall.  I followed these same instructions and it all works great now. I would like to add that the instructions for fixing a code 39 are extensive so here are some quick tips.  If Mr. Fix It can't fix it the first time, don't try and try again. Just do it yourself.  The whole process takes only 5 minutes to restore CD/DVD drive recognition.  You are going to be deleting parts of the registry that are conflicting (upper and lower filters).  You may not have any lower filters to delete, just uppers.  Once that and a reboot are done, you are good to go!  Thanks be to Osprey4.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 5th, 2009 06:00

Thank you for your kind comments, Liz_moore. :emotion-1:

No Events found!