Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2009 11:00

Dimensioin 4700 locks ups with blue screen when I insert CD-RW

(This topic didn't get any response in the General Hardware forum, so I'm trying it here)

My Dimension 4700 has recently developed a problem: Lately, when I insert a CD-RW that I've been using for backups with the Windows Backup Utility, I get a Blue Screen of Death as soon as I insert the disk into the drive. (I'm running Windows XP SP3, with NIS 2009.) If I remove the CD and reboot the system, things go back to normal -- until I attempt to use that CD or another one that was used for backup.

When the system crashes, the specifics of the message are: BAD_POOL_HEADER, followed by the Tech Info: *** STOP: 0x00000019 (0x00000030, 0x8A0D0148, 0x8A0D0160, 0x1A030001)

This seems to be a problem only with the CD-RWs that contain previous backups; I can put others in this same drive that just have data files on them, CD-Rs that have photo archives, audio CDs -- and they cause no crashes or BSOD, so it seems unlikely that the problem is with the CD-RW drive. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

(P.S. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 and have all the recent updates...I haven't added any new hardware or software to the system and never had this problem before).

May 5th, 2009 20:00

Hello, I am experiencing a similar blue-screen problem associated with a CD-RW drive.   

My home system is a Dimension 6400i with a Sony  CRX-216E HH 48x32 CD-RW drive.  I recently installed Windows XP Professional SP3.

Now when I do anything that results in an access to the CD-RW drive, even leaving a CD in the drive when I reboot, then I get too get a blue-screen failure with the message BAD_POOL_HEADER.   (I did not write down the remaining information about the blue-screen failure.)

The driver for this CD-RW drive has a date of  07/01/2001 and a version of    5.1.2535.0.   I am unable to find a newer driver either on the Windows web site or the Sony web site.   I suspect that XP SP3 has made some change that causes the CD-RW driver to crash.

Will continue looking for this problem on Windows, Dell, and Sony sites.

2 Posts

August 16th, 2009 16:00

Bill,

I'm no techie, but I have recently found the same problems and have learned that there a couple of possible issues: a) if you are using Norton Anti-Virus, there may be a conflict, b) if you have Nero or Roxio products, there may be a conflict, and c) you may just need to update your drivers.  I just did "c" and if that doesn't work, I'm going to update Nero, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to go to NAV.  But those are the best solutions I have read online.

Scott

No Events found!