Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2006 14:00

Dimension 4550 Hard Drive Diagnostics

Recently my 4550 PC has been very slow to boot up as well as to shut down.  I have run chkdsk and defrag but did not improve at all.  On running drive diagnostics today, it gave the following....

Primary IDE
    Drive 0:  ST380021A - Fail.Ret.Code: 7
    Drive 1:  No IDE Drive

Secondary IDE
   Drive 0:  NEC DVD+RW NO-1100A-
          Diagnostics not supported
   Drive 1:  No IDE device

I really don't understand all of this.......can someone please explain.  I know Drive 0 is my hard drive but not sure about Code 7.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks........belle

11.9K Posts

March 24th, 2006 15:00

@belle700 wrote:
Recently my 4550 PC has been very slow to boot up as well as to shut down.  I have run chkdsk and defrag but did not improve at all.  On running drive diagnostics today, it gave the following....

Primary IDE
    Drive 0:  ST380021A - Fail.Ret.Code: 7
    Drive 1:  No IDE Drive

Secondary IDE
   Drive 0:  NEC DVD+RW NO-1100A-
          Diagnostics not supported
   Drive 1:  No IDE device

I really don't understand all of this.......can someone please explain.  I know Drive 0 is my hard drive but not sure about Code 7.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks........belle

In the future, by using the Advanced Forum Search on the bottom of this page, you can quite easily find the answer to this often asked question.

Your hard drive is dying. Backup your data ASAP and buy a new drive.  You're living on borrowed time.

16 Posts

March 24th, 2006 19:00

Will do and thanks so much!

1 Message

January 29th, 2015 09:00

The most common problem that I find in these circumstances is the cable which connects to the hard drive is often damaged or not connected correctly...please be certain that the unit is unplugged when checking this option...I hope this helps :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 29th, 2015 12:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev. 

No Events found!