Highlighted
lloydb
1 Nickel

Re: Dimension 4600 can't recognize CD/DVD drives

Jump to solution

But can you replace it with a micro board from Asus or Broadcom or whatever? I was told you can't. Only Dell motherboards will fit in Dell cases. (That came from a tech at CompUSA)

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

The tech at CompUSA needs some remedial training -- I had a Gigabyte H67 microATX with Core i3 CPU installed in a Dimension 3000 chassis. (The B110/1100/2400/3000/4600/4700 all share the same chassis and front panel wiring.) And, to finish it, I modified the front audio connector to fit a standard 2x5 header. To top it off, I had the 2tb hard drive set up for a Windows 7/OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard/Ubuntu triple boot. (Yes, I had what was probably the world's only Dell Dimension 3000 Hackintosh.)

The main concern is that the cables are short and may not reach the headers on some boards. The Gigabyte 1155 board (with UEFI BIOS and solid capacitors) I used didn't have that problem.  

lloydb
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you. In that case, they ripped me off so that I would buy a $40 case from them. It will be the last thing. I could have saved a lot of time and money putting my new Asus motherboard and AMD FX4100 processor in the old Dell case, which already had all the drives I need. I also combined what was left of the 4600 with a 3100 so that I have a spare Ubuntu computer that dual boots with Windows XP. That is the one with the CD drive recognition problems. Again, thanks rdunnill and others

0 Kudos