Highlighted
niq000
1 Nickel

Dimension 8400 will not boot from cd or dvd drive

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a Dimension 8400 that refuses to boot from the cd or dvd drive. In the bios, i have tried moving "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive" to the first position in the boot sequence. Also, I tried pressing "f12" when booting to access the boot menu. I tried to select the "onboard or usb cd-rom" option from there with a bootable cd in both drives and still haven't had any success.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kho6658
1 Copper

Re: Dimension 8400 will not boot from cd or dvd drive

Jump to solution

I also have the same issue.  Not understanding why Dell is not addressing this issue.  Trying to reload a system using the Dell restore CD and have two CD-drives in the system that came with the system and neither will boot from Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
31 Replies
kamalvlr
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

Well, you tried changing the boot sequence in the BIOS.  Please make sure that your cd drive is working with other medias (i.e. other cds or dvds), if it is so, then try the following;

1. turn off the computer and then unplugh the power cable and all other external devices from your computer

2. push and hold the power button for 30 sec. (without power connection)

3. plugh the keyboard, mouse and monitor cable and then the power, turn on the computer and then check whether your computer is booting from os cd.

Regards,

Kamal.

0 Kudos
niq000
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I tested my cd and dvd drive once booted all the way into the operating system (Windows XP). Neither of them had any problems reading the cd. I have booted from the cd i'm trying to use many times in the past as well.

mikearzan
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hello

I have the same exact problem as you do.

After i turn the dimension 8400 on ,i receive no booting device available and when i try to boot from cd-rom i receive the same message.

in booting sequence shows  usb cd-rom boot enable,but when i try to boot from it ,it says no booting device available.

I even tried to boot from hard disk (normal booting ),again the same message,"NO BOOTING DEVICE AVAILABLE".

Please ,help.

thanks.mike

kho6658
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also have the same issue.  Not understanding why Dell is not addressing this issue.  Trying to reload a system using the Dell restore CD and have two CD-drives in the system that came with the system and neither will boot from Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
ZLevee
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also have this issue with a Dimension 8400.  I can't boot from a bootable CD or bootable DVD despite having the optical drive as a priority in the boot sequence, and have the same issue where accessing the boot menu via F12 and choosing the optical drive just gets me "Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to enter setup utility". 

I have one optical drive on the IDE cable, being the only device on the IDE cable, set as master, at the end of the cable.  I have another optical drive on a SATA cable.  Both work fine within windows.  Neither works for booting from an optical disc.

I read somewhere that one user was able to boot from a DVD by disconnecting one of his optical drives -- the other one was then able to boot from a DVD.  I haven't tried this yet but it seems like a rather imperfect way to go about it if you have to open up the case very time you want to do soemthing like restore off a backup.  I'd appreciate hearing a real solution.

0 Kudos
djmiller
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same problem here. All dell diagnostics pass from F12.  There seems to be many people with this same issue.  The machine I am now working on for client started this about a year ago and no the client has told me  2 repair shops were not able to fix it.  I am not giving up, but it would be nice if someone would reply from Dell.  The system is out of warranty so I do not want to pay Dell for support.

0 Kudos
The_Namek
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Exactly what bootable CD or DVD media are you all trying to boot from?

XPS One. Core2 Duo @ 2.2GHz. 2 GB DDR2-667. WD2500AAJS 250GB SATA. Intel GMA 3100 video. 20" WSXGA HD LCD. 2 Megapixel Webcam. 8X DVD±RW. 8-in-1 Media Reader. 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless. Integrated High Def Audio. Internal Bluetooth 2.0. NTSC/ATSC TV Tuner. Windows 7 Professional SP1.

0 Kudos
niq000
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Perhaps my previous post was a little ambigious and just wanted to clarify a few things. I said that I had booted from the cd I was trying to use many times in the past. This is true, but not from this computer. I could never get this computer to read any bootable cd's (Windows xp, linux, etc...).

Here's how I ended up working around the problem (luckily I wasn't trying to install a different operating system or it would have never worked):

- Removed the hard drive

- Hooked the hard drive up to a computer running linux (via removeably hard drive enclosure)

- Backed up the data

- Put the hard drive back in the machine...

- Used the bult-in dell system restore (I forgot what button you press, something like F4, or possible F8 while booting)

- Removed the hard drive again...

- hooked the hard drive up to the linux computer (again) to restore the data

- put the drive back in the dell

Just wanted to say thanks to dell for all the help and for making a seemingly simple job become such a chore.

0 Kudos
ZLevee
1 Copper

Jump to solution

In my case I was referring to backups made with both Acronis TrueImage Home Edition from this machine and and older one made on this machine with Nero Back It Up.  I've successfully used both programs numerous times before to make images of and and restore other machines.

0 Kudos