Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2013 12:00

Dimension 9200

Hi

My Dimension 9200 refuses to boot up past the screen as shown in the image

I have run setup and it makes no difference , it will not boot from CD/DVD/USB, I guess because it is not recognising them. I have gone to configuration utility and cannot improve matters. If i press F1 I get the different options for loading windows,ie safe mode, etc. Whichever I choose it loads,flashes a blue screen too quick to see what is on it and then reboots

Any suggestions on the problem would be welcome

Thanks

David

1.8K Posts

February 27th, 2013 12:00

Hi David,

From the screenshot it appears that there are two hard drives installed on your computer and RAID is configured. 

You may try changing the SATA Operations in system BIOS by following the steps below:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as you see the Dell logo, start tapping the ‘F2’ key on top of the keyboard.
  • If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.
  • After this a new window would appear. You can only use the arrow keys of the keyboard to navigate between the options as the mouse is not functional in this mode.
  • Navigate to drives Option.
  • There you will see two options: RAID Autodetect / ATA (RAID if signed drives, otherwise ATA) and RAID On (SATA is configured for RAID on every boot) 
  • If the system is configured with RAID, the settings must be RAID On. Enable if it is disabled.
  • Save settings and restart system.

If the issue persists, you may run diagnostics on your computer to ensure the hardware functionality. To run ‘Dell Diagnostics’

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, press F12 on the Dell logo
  • Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu
  • Make a note of error code if any. 

Another step you may try is to disable 'Diskette Drive'. Once you are in system BIOS, navigate to 'Drives' option. Under Diskette Drive you will the following options:

Off — All floppy drives are disabled. 
USB — USB floppy drives are enabled. 
Internal — The integrated floppy drive is enabled. 
Read Only — The integrated floppy drive is enabled and only allows reads. 

Disable the floppy drive. Save changes and restart computer. See if it helps. 

Please share the findings. 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 27th, 2013 17:00

I'd suggest a new CMOS battery. If that doesn't help, I'd swap in a known good working power supply, as failure of that component can cause booting problems.  I suggest you examine your motherboard for bulging capacitors, too.

Your screen picture indicates the BIOS is recognizing two optical drives and and two hard drives.

When you say the CD drives aren't recognized, does that mean they don't appear on the boot menu after pressing F12?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 28th, 2013 16:00

I also suggested a new motherboard battery in this duplicate post.

3 Posts

March 1st, 2013 02:00

Brillant, by changing to RAID Autodetect / ATA it now works.:emotion-2:

I am obviously worried as I had not been in setup prior to this fault developing. Any idea what could have caused this problem

Regards

David

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 1st, 2013 13:00

A weak CMOS battery?

No Events found!