Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2011 10:00

Dimension E520 SATA Drivers

I'm trying to re-install the OS on my Dimension E520.  The OS (Windows) doesn't recognize the Samsung SATA HDD in it.  Samsung does not have any drivers on their site, and the downloads on Dell's site do not match the hard disk that came with my machine (searched by service tag number).  Anyone have any thoughts on where to find drivers for the HDD?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 19th, 2011 13:00

ericweiss100

Drivers for the SATA hard drive, are included in the operating system.

Why are you reinstalling windows, did you replace the hard drive?

As you don't list the operating system in your post, see if THIS can help with the reinstall.

Bev.

November 19th, 2011 16:00

Thanks for the quick reply.  I agree that HDD drivers are included in the OS.  However, when installing the OS, I'm getting the infamous BSOD and stop error indicating that the OS can't find a driver.  All online searching on  the stop error (0xf789e63c, 0x0000007b) indicate a missing disk driver.  I have tried to install Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Windows Server 2003 (x86) all to no avail.  They all come back with the same stop error.  I am changing the OS due to a complete system failure on a different computer and a need to have a server OS.  My system originally came with no OS and I previously had no problem installing Vista on the box.  At this point, I just want to get something on the machine so I can get it up and running.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 19th, 2011 16:00

ericweiss100

Is this a new new drive?

A thought, have you removed all the peripherals, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse?

An Stop 0x0000007B error can also, indicate a damaged/failed hard drive.

See if you can run Dell Diagnostics extended test on the hard drive, the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc that was shipped with the computer package can be used for this.

Bev.

November 20th, 2011 12:00

I have tried it with the original drive and a brand new SATA drive.  I get the same error with both.  I don't have another computer with SATA connections to test the drive, but I would be very surprised if the new drive was bad.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 20th, 2011 13:00

ericweiss100

Try removing the battery located on the motherboard and then replace it after about 10 minutes, to reset the BIOS to default and see if this makes a difference.

Bev.

November 21st, 2011 04:00

I've tried that, too.  No luck...

I'm really confused on this one.  Never had a problem like this before.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 21st, 2011 05:00

Hi ericweiss100,

Are you using a Dell OS disc? What OS are you trying to install? What is the controller mode in the BIOS (ATA, RAID, AHCI)?

November 22nd, 2011 06:00

No, it's not a Dell OS disc --  the computer did not come with an OS disc.  I was originally trying to install Windows Server 2003.  When that didn't work, I tried Windows XP.  Both OS installs stopped with the same error at the same place.  It's a serial ATA machine, no RAID.

November 22nd, 2011 07:00

I will give it a shot.  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2011 07:00

You should be able to set the controller mode to ATA in the BIOS (F2), which will avoid this problem. That would be the simplest thing to do.

121 Posts

December 12th, 2011 08:00

Windows XP does not have the SATA driver.

You have to add it during the installation or on the CD

No Events found!