Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2007 01:00

Dimension E520: Second Hard Drive

Hello,

I am thinking of getting a second SATA disk for my E520, but have some questions:
Is there a limit on the capacity? I have seen 320GB somewhere...
Does the board support SATA2?

Thank you.

1.8K Posts

May 27th, 2007 02:00

The system board does support 2 SATA drives on the E520...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 27th, 2007 03:00

VIP12888

You can use either SATA1 or SATA2 hard drives and there's no limit on the size of the drives.

There is a spare power connector inside the case, but you will need a 24" x 180* x 90* [right angle] SATA data cable, similar to the unit Here. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Try to buy the cable from a local computer store, to save the S&H.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

Message Edited by shesagordie on 05-26-2007 11:15 PM

5 Posts

May 27th, 2007 17:00

Thanks for the info! VIP

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 27th, 2007 18:00

You're Welcome. :)

Bev.

2 Posts

January 28th, 2008 14:00

RE: Adding a second drive to an E520.

I'm about to buy a WD 250 Gb SATA II drive to install in this PC (you mentioned earlier that both SATA I and II were compatible with this motherboard)

However, what sort of cabling do I require - unfortunately your link no longer works.  I read on the Maplins site (UK) which supplies PC parts that you need different cabling for SATA II?  If this is true, do I need SATA II at both ends of the cable or only at one end?

Incidentally, if you should know, is this motherboard SATA I or II - and what data speed do they run at?

Many thanks
TSH

Message Edited by TSH001 on 01-28-2008 10:04 AM

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 28th, 2008 19:00

TSH001

You need a 24" [or longer] x 180* x 90* [right angle] SATA1 data cable, similar to this.

Note: If both SATA 150 and 300 drive models are 7200 rpm, this will limit them to a practical maximum speed, in the 60-65 MBps range.

This article may interest you.

Bev.

2 Posts

January 29th, 2008 11:00

Thanks for the info - and the link to the SATA article!

RE: ' If both SATA 150 and 300 drive models are 7200 rpm, this will limit them to a practical maximum speed, in the 60-65 MBps range '

The drive I'm buying is a WD 250 Gb, 7200, 8mb cache, SATA 300 drive.  From the above, am I right in thinking that the drives will run at the speed of the slowest drive?  ie my original installed system drive which I assume is SATA 150? 

And is this a theoretical limit anyway - the article seemed to suggest that no mid range consumer drives reach this speed anyway?

Many thanks
TSH

10 Posts

February 16th, 2008 06:00

Hello,
I don't know a lot about computers but want to add another Sata drive.
I have bought one and have ordered a 1m Sata cable (right angle( similar to the one that is in my PC for the first HD.
However, I am not quite sure where to plug the drive into on the motherboard.
There is a sata connection next to the one my main HD uses but that one is taken up by the DVD drive.
I can see a place that looks like another sata connection on the motherboard / can I used pluc the drive into that one or does the order matter of where they go?

Thanks for the help.

Waliser

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 16th, 2008 17:00

waliser

As you have posted in a E520 thread, I'll ssume that you have a E520 with XP.

You can use any open SATA port on the motherboard.

The E520 Motherboard details are here 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

How to install the hard drive. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

After installing the hardrive, enter the 'System Setup' and check that the drive is enabled [on]

System Setup

For windows to recognize the second hard drive, it must be patitioned and formatted. These are generic instructions for installing an additional hard drive using Windows XP Disk Management, they are by Seagate. but apply to all brands.

Bev.

10 Posts

February 17th, 2008 09:00

Thank you,
that was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks a lot

Waliser

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 17th, 2008 15:00

waliser

Pleased to have helped.

Bev.

12 Posts

June 26th, 2011 16:00

My current E520 hard drive speed is 7.2k.  I plan to add a second 1T hard drive that is also 7.2k. How might that effect my speed, if at all?

6.4K Posts

June 26th, 2011 17:00

It will not affect the speed of the computer.  Only one disk can be used at a time, so your mass storage data transfer will be the same with both drives.  This might be different if you place two drives in a RAID 0 configuration, but according to the specs on the E520, only RAID 1 (Mirroring) is supported.  Therefore, the speed will be the same.  You will, however, have a lot more room to store data.

12 Posts

July 2nd, 2011 17:00

Help!

I installed my 1T second drive into SATA4. I enabled SATA4 in BIOS. I went into Disk Manager and set it to format.  After 24 hours it was only 56% complete so I poked around the web and realized I should have partitioned it.  So I cancelled the format and rebooted.  I went back to Disk Managwer and set it to partition 300MB and clicked "Quick Format."  I went to unload the dishwasher and when I returned the new disk no longer appeared in Disk Manager.  I rebooted again but now BIOS doesn't recognize it. I had to disable SATA4 to get the CPU to boot up again.

What did I do wrong and what do I do now?

6.4K Posts

July 3rd, 2011 00:00

My first impression of your post is that the hard drive has failed.  Formatting and partitioning should not affect the detection of the hard drive in the computer BIOS.

Before giving up on it however, you should try connecting the drive to SATA 1.  When you use the hard drives as individual devices the Dell BIOS prefers hard drives to be connected to one of the first two ports.  The ports seen as SATA 4 and SATA 5 are intended for your DVD/CD drives (the E520 does not have support for ports SATA 2 or SATA 3).  Once you have the hard drive connected to SATA 1, reset the CMOS (NVRAM) by using either one of the keyboard methods found in Chris M's post here, or by removing the CMOS battery for about five minutes.

EDIT:  Specifically, see the link marked Clearing NVRAM in Chris M's post.

No Events found!