Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 7th, 2009 15:00

Disc Eject not working BRAND NEW TODAY

Any help appreciated as to what the problem is with the disc eject on STUDIO1735, delivered today.
It will not eject using either Fn"f10" or the soft touch button above the keyboard. The only way i can eject a disc is by RtClk on mouse and "eject" or by going into "my computer" and ejecting from there. The buttons DON'T WORK.

Is there a "simple fix" for this - or is it a "back to Dell" job?

Thanks - Iain

1 Message

September 1st, 2010 09:00

I recently bought a studioXPS 15 and had the issue that the eject didn't work.

I have a tendancy to remove anything with a dell label from a new machine due to past experience and not needing all the extras.  In the process I had removed the quickset application.   Did some searching and found the Quickset application, among other things, also controls those touch buttons and the back-lighting of the laptop.  While the other buttons worked, the eject button did not work until I had reinstalled the quickset application from their support page.  No rebooting necessary for it to start working.

I hope that helps some people out there looking for a solution.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 7th, 2009 16:00

iainbax

As this is a brand new notebook, you need to contact Dell ASAP about this.

Bev.

3 Posts

January 24th, 2009 09:00

I had the same problem as yourself. I phoned Dell support and they downloaded some new drivers and the cd came out. I'm not sure if it as fully fixed the problem as the odd CD keeps getting stuck.

Regards QJE

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2009 09:00

Hi, Ih8dale:

Yours definitely is a software issue, since the physical button works outside of Vista. The user above mentioned a driver update fixed the problem. Have you checked downloads for any updates?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2009 09:00

Fixed? - Apparently not! I just purchased a Dell Studio XPS 1640 and it exhibits the problem of not being able to use the touch panel eject to successfully eject the CDRom. Although it will eject before windows boots or if I use My Computer to eject the CDRom.

I tried every solution offered to me by both Dell Tech Support and community forum contributors. 

Tried:

• SATA set to AHCI in bios with the associated registry change.
  • Dell quickset uninstall/install  ....... uninstall.
  • Latest Bios update (A07)
  • Poking my eyes out with a spork!

Nothing seems to work and now I'm partially blind!

Since they can't figure out the problem maybe they can create a driver that will allow us to map the button to a quicklaunch item like - the dell community forums website - since I spend so much time here trying to solve issues. ;)

Just a thought!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2009 14:00

Thanks for the reply.

Why yes I have, there are no device drivers for the touch panel buttons. The only thing that *may be relevent is the Dell Quickset which I've tried and eventually uninstalled. There is one version available, dated 1/9/2009, 9.2.13 A05. The is a CD-rom firmware available for the TS-T633A 12.7mm Slim Slotload 8x DVDRW Drive which I was current on.

I assume the above poster was referring to the dell quickset because when I called Dell that's all they had me look at. But, I'll also note he wasn't sure the problem was fixed. I'd also like to add that I personally know of 3 XPS's that have the exact same issue, some never installed the quickset and some did.

I wish the poster would have refferenced the actual "driver(s)" that were installed.

Thanks for YOUR help. It's much appreciated.

2 Posts

June 8th, 2009 03:00

Maybe it is related with the hinge cover. The button of hinge cover might not work. There are several similar cases in this forum on Studio 1735, 1737.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 13th, 2009 22:00

I'm gonna send mine back and get another brand. I'm sooo tired of Dell products.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 27th, 2009 18:00

My Toshiba is awesome and everything works. Kinda didn't expect that after having Dells for so long.

2 Posts

July 1st, 2009 15:00

Hey everybody.  I wanted to write in because I just got my studio xps 1640 today and was experiencing the same problem -- the eject touch button was not working inside of windows.  The root cause for me was that I had disabled the "Dell Quickset" from startup inside msconfig.  I am not exactly sure what this software does, but when I enabled it everything worked just great!

Hopefully this will help somebody else out there :)

13 Posts

July 26th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for that info, jastorino.  The eject button stopped working on my xps 1640 after I updated the BIOS to A07.  I'll try enabling the Dell Quickset and see what happens.

2 Posts

July 26th, 2009 19:00

I also had bios A07.  I also had an issue this past week whereby all the sudden the "fast forward" button would constantly be illuminated, but none of the other buttons would work.  I found a solution to this:  Turn off the machine.  Push and hold the power button for 30 seconds.  Pull the battery.  Put the battery back in.  Power on.

That solved my issue.  Hopefully a new bios release will help avoid this.

13 Posts

July 27th, 2009 02:00

I enabled the Dell Quickset in msconfig, rebooted, and the eject button works now.  A Dell rep informed me that a BIOS update wouldn't affect any of the soft touch buttons but of course, it did because I didn't have any problems until after I flashed the BIOS.  He wanted to set up a tech visit to replace the entire soft touch panel but I said no, hoping that someone would come up with a solution.  The odd thing is that I never had the Quickset checked to start before and the eject button worked fine.  Go figure.  Thanks again for the tip!

1 Message

January 11th, 2012 14:00

You were exactly right as I installed the quicket driver and the issue was resolved. Thanks a million! :emotion-2:

1 Message

June 12th, 2012 10:00

I was recently given a Dell XPS 1640 laptop for my work computer.  I, too, noticed that the EJECT "button" fails to eject the disc.  After pressing the EJECT "button", and watching its light brighten and then dim all while performing a "MICROSOFT" (MYK-kro-soft, verb; to stare blankly into space while frozen in place; especially when some action is expected.)--I concluded that this is a waste of time.

So, how does one access this "Quickset application" that's all abuzz?

No Events found!