Highlighted
vellmike91
Copper

Disc drive won't accept discs in Dell Studio 1555 Laptop

My disc drive won't accept any discs I put in to it.  It always spits it back out.  The disc drive also makes loud, crunching type noises whenever I start or resume windows and when I try to put in a disc.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
osprey4
Diamond

Re: Disc drive won't accept discs in Dell Studio 1555 Laptop

Hi Vellmike91,

Try this. Restart the system and boot to the utility partition (F12), then go to the diagnostics. With the laptop in the diagnostics window, try inserting a disc. Does it stay in or is it ejected? If it stays, try running the test on your DVD drive.

0 Kudos
vellmike91
Copper

I tried that, but the disc was ejected.

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

That drive definitely needs to be replaced. Is your laptop still under warranty?

0 Kudos
vellmike91
Copper

I'm not sure if it's still under warranty.  I bought it last July from my school's bookstore so I'm thinking it might still be under warranty.  Worst comes to worst, I can just bring it to the tech place at my school and have them look at it when I go back next month.

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

Vellmike91,

Ok, that's good. If you bought it through school, which I strongly recommend to all college students, they almost always give you 3-4 years warranty. So they should replace it with no problem.

In fact, my daughter wanted a Dell for school but her college only offered Lenovo (with on-site service). I told her you take what they service, and she's getting a Thinkpad!

0 Kudos