Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2010 22:00

Disc drive won't accept discs in Dell Studio 1555 Laptop

My disc drive won't accept any discs I put in to it.  It always spits it back out.  The disc drive also makes loud, crunching type noises whenever I start or resume windows and when I try to put in a disc.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2010 06:00

Hi Vellmike91,

Try this. Restart the system and boot to the utility partition (F12), then go to the diagnostics. With the laptop in the diagnostics window, try inserting a disc. Does it stay in or is it ejected? If it stays, try running the test on your DVD drive.

3 Posts

July 24th, 2010 15:00

I tried that, but the disc was ejected.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 24th, 2010 16:00

That drive definitely needs to be replaced. Is your laptop still under warranty?

3 Posts

July 25th, 2010 22:00

I'm not sure if it's still under warranty.  I bought it last July from my school's bookstore so I'm thinking it might still be under warranty.  Worst comes to worst, I can just bring it to the tech place at my school and have them look at it when I go back next month.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 26th, 2010 13:00

Vellmike91,

Ok, that's good. If you bought it through school, which I strongly recommend to all college students, they almost always give you 3-4 years warranty. So they should replace it with no problem.

In fact, my daughter wanted a Dell for school but her college only offered Lenovo (with on-site service). I told her you take what they service, and she's getting a Thinkpad!

No Events found!